Is there life out there on the forum ?

I was speaking to a friend the other day and we are both very surprised how little interest there has been in the ICPS conference. People are always complaining that nothing goes on especially up north and when  a mega event like this happens very few people are interested..

Or is it because so much flaming goes on that people are reluctant to post any more.

I'm thinking of going, I have even checked with the "boss" if it will be ok, we may try and make a long weekend of it without the kids :)

I have even looked at where to stay as if was now to get a ball park figure, excited? A little :D

James

I am also planning my first trip to London especially for that occasion. And we still have more than one year to spend before that!

Should we say I am quite interested?

Edited by R00b

I seem to be drfting more towards orchids these days. Probably because i've got more involved with the local society who have regular local meetings. I first joined the cps about 30 odd years ago and have never felt 'involved' as the reality is its a largely south of england based society.

The chester meeting was great but its a 'one off' and the focus is clearly now firmly back in the south of england. At least the Nepenthes national collection is now not too far away at Chester (allong with a very nice orchid collection). Very little insentive here for an expensive trudge down to the smoke to see sundews... Ill save the money and put it towards some nice paphiopedilums or some of the rarer nepenthes :)

• Like 1

The CPS had a Northern Section in the late 80s and early 90s. All CPS members resident in what was considered 'North*' were contacted by letter and were invited to attend.We had regular meetings with excellent premises and free food and refreshments provided but demand fell off. So if the Society is 'Southern based' then there's the reason

It cost CPS members nothing, all they had to do was turn up, it wasn't even included in the Society membership fee or by funds from the Society. 

There's nothing to stop someone starting it up again if there's sufficient demand. 

* North was considered as most of the country above London

• Like 1

I agree, the CPS seems to be primarily a southern based group. I would hardly call London north, I live ~575 miles north of there. I'm not saying that I would necessarily go if it was closer, but I would be far more tempted if it was more central, in Birmingham for example, which has very good transport links.

* North was considered as most of the country above London

Thats says it all...

I tried to have an informal 'open' day a few years ago, just an excuse to get some like minded people to meet face to face and swap a few plants, no one was interested. (actually one person was interested but we cancelled due to lack of interest from others). At least at the orchid society people are actually keen so its more productive to participate in that, even if 50% of the time we end up talking about cp's.

Guest GazCez

We are totally excited by the prospect of the ICPS Conference and I am already speaking to our dog sitter about 2016.

We've never been to Kew and maybe I'll even re-join the CPS again to get cheaper tickets!

We don't care how far it is away in terms of time and having watched Kew on a plate on BBC2 recently we are excited at the prospect of ditching the dogs for a day. 

There is indeed life out there on the forum but we are all only just emerging from our winter slumber like our plants.

The end of season meeting last year was in birmingham at the botanical garden myself, james, tim and dennis were from the south also a another chap who comes to the meeting. The rest were from midlands their is only so much the society can do it's up to members living locally to organise some events.  Steven morley open day is quite well attended perhaps you could have a bye monthly meeting at chester zoo the problem as always is getting  folks to come. This is not rely a cp thing but reptile clubs and others are also not getting the numbers. 

Keith

Hi

we now routinely hold the end of season meeting in Birmingham. The first time we held it there only 2 people turned upLast year the attendance was around 30. CPS Membership is steady at around 350 members - more in the summer, a bit

less in the winter.

There are over 20 CP events in the UK this year around the country. There are only threenorth of Birmingham - Mike

King's and Stephen Morley's open days and the visit to Chester Zoo's national collection of nepenthes. Details are on our website www.thecps.org.uk. We would like more - particularly in the north of England and in Scotland. The CPS advertises all events and can help out with catering costs. If you would like to

hold an event please contact Dianne Riddiford via the website.

The reason the ICPS conference is being held in London is that Kew were very supportive and will put a lot of resourcesinto making it a great CP event. In addition to the 3 day conference with talks from many of the world's leading CP

botanists, there will be many talks of more general CP interest, leading growers from the UK and Europe will have

plants for sale, there will opportunities for a behind the scenes look at Kew's huge CP collections and their

herbarium specimens.

It is likely that here will be other CP events being held at Kew before, during and after the conference. We will let

you know the details of these when they have been finalised.

This will be the largest CP event ever held in the UK and, despite the travelling, we hope that members and others in

the north will attend.

best regards

Dennis Balsdon

• 4 weeks later...

I wanna go, but its my daughters birthday!! so have to come up with a "cunning plan"!!!

As for this forum, i generaly use face book now because its more instant"

its easier to upload pics

whenever i post something i usually get a reply within an hour, i had a problem with my Nep leaves due to low temps in the greenhouse

I posted a pic and had lots of responses from all over the world

Advice from people that you "hear about in books"

photos of other people plants exhibiting the same traits

And links to scientific papers regarding the problem

it turned into great discussion where everyone learned something!

I will still use this forum but to be honest  ( this is from the heart)

It doesnt seem as friendly or welcoming as the Facebook forums

i think my posts here have been "ignored" more than "liked" something which was pointed out to me

"hey saw your photos, how come you get less response to your photos of CPs than that bloke did of some Roses!??"

IM not bitter about it, its just FB is more rewarding because its instant, also you can look at other stuff while having conversations

The CPS facebook page needs updating, ive tried to share some interesting articles & pictures but it wont let me!

its a shame as one of the redfern expeditions was giving out daily updates of plants and habitats,

this meant that you could request pictures and info , which were posted the next day

DONT RUN FROM FACEBOOK!! USE IT AS A TOOL AS I DO :wacko1:

• Like 2

Just a shame that everything shared on FB is lost in the depths of the NSA servers, whereas forums remain a searchable archive of information that you can return to. A bit like a nice old book with a tatty dust jacket, but still a gold mine within.

FB only serves to confirm that we're living in a disposable society. I'm happy not to be a part of it, what you don't see, you don't miss. :smile:

Apologies for continuing off-topic.

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself. I have been a lot less active on the forum this season. And I feel as a moderator it's not great behaviour on my part, but the whole reason I haven't posted on here my blow by blow records of my shiny new big greenhouse since I moved house is purely down to the fact that it's such a huge pain in the backside to post pictures here. I posted it on Facebook and had great discussions about it and good laughs and made new FB friends in the worldwide CP community. I feel that the forum could remain in decline until the photo issues are resolved.

• Like 2

I've added 85 photos on my greenhouse and nepenthes galleries to CPUK without a single issue, so i don't know what they problem is ?

Acutally, i think i do..... it's all about photo dimensions and file size limits. You can't go uploading a 5 meg 4064x2704 pixel image straight off your camera, it needs to be resized first.

I can't think what else the problem could be.