H. collina (Cerro Venamo) x H. minor var. pilosa (Cerro la Luna)

mobile

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's just on an open grow shelf, under a E27 LED growlight. I think people often underestimate the amount of light Heliamphora need to thrive.

Do you have any idea what the equivalent wattage would be for CFLs? I have two of these over my helis, and am wondering how it compares in light to your set up.

Also, what's the humidity around yours? Mine's about 70-72% during the night and about 50-55% during the day.

Thanks

TBH, I don't measure any parameters, sorry.

:laugh2: And therein lies the difference between a rank beginner like me, and the experienced hand of an expert!

You say it's on an open grow shelf. Is this in the house, in a greenhouse, in the garden, etc? Just trying to get an idea. You can't post amazing pictures like that and not expect people like not to drool and drive you mad asking how you did it!

The grow shelf is in my house, in a room where I tend to keep the radiator off, so stays a little cooler. The lighting is really just a cheap red/blue/white LED E27 lamp, places within 5 - 7.5cm of the pitchers. The plant pitchers all year around, but is more prolific in the cooler winter months. I see a lot of Heliamphora with very green pitchers and flared pitchers, which to me is a sign of insufficient light. I have grown a few of them on windowsills and flared pitchers usually occur in winter months when light levels are low and day lengths are short.

• Like 1

The grow shelf is in my house, in a room where I tend to keep the radiator off, so stays a little cooler. The lighting is really just a cheap red/blue/white LED E27 lamp, places within 5 - 7.5cm of the pitchers. The plant pitchers all year around, but is more prolific in the cooler winter months. I see a lot of Heliamphora with very green pitchers and flared pitchers, which to me is a sign of insufficient light. I have grown a few of them on windowsills and flared pitchers usually occur in winter months when light levels are low and day lengths are short.

Thanks for the explanation. Good to hear you can grow them so well in simple conditions. Gives me hope!

Two more questions if you don't mind (you didn't think you'd get away that easily did you?  :laugh2:)...

1) I'm clueless about LED lights, so don't really know what E27 means. Does that refer to the type, the wattage or what? Please explain. I'm mainly interested to know how it compares in watts to my set up with two full spectrum CFLs

2) How do you keep the humidity up if they are just in a room? I know you said you don't measure it, but my house (even in a room with the radiators off) only has a RH of about 50%, which I thought was too low for helis.

Thanks again

1) I'm clueless about LED lights, so don't really know what E27 means. Does that refer to the type, the wattage or what? Please explain. I'm mainly interested to know how it compares in watts to my set up with two full spectrum CFLs

2) How do you keep the humidity up if they are just in a room? I know you said you don't measure it, but my house (even in a room with the radiators off) only has a RH of about 50%, which I thought was too low for helis.1) I'm clueless about LED lights, so don't really know what E27 means. Does that refer to the type, the wattage or what? Please explain. I'm mainly interested to know how it compares in watts to my set up with two full spectrum CFLs

E27 is just the fitting size, also know as Edison Screw. I think the LED bulb I am using currently is 12W, comprising of red, blue and white LEDs, in descending ratios. There can be no direct comparison with your light, as the CFL will be outputting some spectrum that the plants can't use, whilst the spectrum of the LED lamp is more tuned with the chlorophyll absorption wavelengths of plants, so a Watt for Watt comparison is not really relevant.

I don't keep the humidity up, it is whatever the room is at. I have (crappy) digital and dial hygrometers and both of them are saying the plant location is currently 25% RH, but I don't normally measure or record, so I don't know what the min/max are.

• 11 months later...