Nice suprise in the garden on friday

TCurrell

I was working at Heathrow airport on Friday and left the house at 5am in a sleepy daze, the day dragged on forever and i returned home at 9pm tired as hell. I glance to the neglected flower bed by my front door thinking to myself "ill sort that out when the weather warms up" when i noticed this!

IMG_20150301_175513_zpsm69cz4fx.jpg

If you can see past the weedy shambles this is my Dracunculis vulgaris bulb i "discarded" last year when i was convinced it was rotting. I guess i was wrong, You never know i might even get a flower this year, the neighbors would love that!

Anyway this made the day feel more worthwhile and i thought i'd share it with you guys.

• Like 1

I was only there for the day laying carpet, I'm a subcontractor so the company i was working with had a renovation contract for some offices and i was doing the carpet tiles. Pretty boring really but brings in the bacon lol.

Nice.  Mine flowered last year when I was keeping it in a pot due to an imminent house move. They're still in pots and, like yours, growing already. Now we've moved I hope to be able to plant them out in a more permanent location. Do you know if they should be dug up or just mulched over winter?

• Like 1

I left mine in the ground over winter and it was fine, i may have been lucky though. I had assumed the bulb was rotting so it was a bit of a "chuck it on the ground and see what happens" decision which paid off. I planted it there in august time as the plant had withered back by then. I'm hoping mine flowers this year, did you get any seed from your's Gaz? I hear they can self seed but i'm unsure as to whether i have to hand pollinate it or if it will self pollinate.

I left mine in the ground over winter and it was fine, i may have been lucky though

did you get any seed from your's Gaz? I hear they can self seed but i'm unsure as to whether i have to hand pollinate it or if it will self pollinate.

We're a fair bit further north than you so I guess I'll need to mulch it at least. I don't want to risk losing the larger one so I might dig that up. There were no seeds and, unfortunately, I didn't try selfing it as we were focusing on the house move. If it obliges with a flower this year I'll definitely give it a go.  Actually I was surprised to get a flower as the tuber wasn't that big.

I'm hoping my Amorphophallus konjac will be big enoughto flower this year.

I bought an amorphophallus titanum germinated seed the other day, waiting on deliver for that. Aroids have always fascinated me so i thought i'd go big this time lol.

A. titanium! Wow, where did you get that? I bought a seed in 2013, so far no signs of germination so I guess it's dead...better check this weekend just in case.

I ordered it from a polish grower, its one that's pre-germinated so will be sent out in wet peat. I hear they dont saty viable long and if they dry out there near impossible to germinate so i paid a bit more for one already started. I'll keep you posted when it arrives it's got me super exited :)