N. Veitchii seeds grown

dimitar

Well, a few years ago I bought seeds from eBay labeled as N. veitchii Bario.

Now u can see with what I ended up - bullshit lowland plants including N. globosa. N. mirabilis etc...

Was waste of years and hope...

That one even don't know what is it..... ID welcome !?

10353117_710305935673649_598447476158554

10577182_710306079006968_117118625064528

Edited by dimitar

Aside from the fact it isn't what you wanted it is quite a nice looking plan there dimi though I'm afraid I don't have a clue what it is

• Like 1

That's a shame Dimi,

It''s a nice plant but not what you were hoping for. As someone who is nurturing some 6mm Nepenthes seedlings after a few months I really hope they turn out to be N. ampullaria!

I see all sorts of Nepenthes seeds on eBay but have never bought from there as I don't trust them to be fresh. I hadn't thought that they might just be hybridxhybrid though that's just fraudulent >:-(

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Frankly, I wouldn't quacks if they were mixed seeds even unknown but from highland Neps species or crosses. But those lowland  Neps almost die in the winter in the greenhouse.

Tell us who the seller was, so that at least people know who to be warned of.

The seller was from Asia that's for sure  but unfortunately it was 3 years ago or so and I don't remember the name ( the nick) of the seller.

I bought Naga seeds of albermarlesounds which turned out to be talangensis, thats a hard mistake to make so clearly deliberate fraud.

That's a bit harsh. The odds of him potentially mixing up packages seems a lot more likely than him deliberately defrauding any of you and risking poor feedback on Ebay. 

I rarely buy plants on eBay now. I used to buy lots of garden plants , you get a small plant of a rare variety cheap, but then flowers the next year and it's something else. Problem is you only have 45 days to leave feedback, so it's ripe for abuse. Better to pay full price for mature plant from established nursery, works out cheaper in the long run.

That's a bit harsh. The odds of him potentially mixing up packages seems a lot more likely than him deliberately defrauding any of you and risking poor feedback on Ebay.

I'm not the only person its happened to from this seller. Whether its deliberate fraud or just incompetence, the end result to the buyer is the same. How do i leave feedback 2 years late? I would love to know.

I do feel that buyers are a bit harsh on the ebay Nep seed sellers. Ricardo (albermarlesounds) doesn't collect all the seeds himself- he knows a number of people who collect seeds for him when they can. Not all of them are Nep experts. Personally, I think that buying seeds that have been collected in the wilds is a good gamble, certainly better odds than the national lottery. 

Yes, I've bought naga seeds and got talangensis before- but then I've bought naga another 5 times and got naga 5 times- with plenty of variation- for just a couple of pounds per seed pod. 

Considering the huge range of Neps many of us have grown from ebay seeds, and bearing in mind that he rarely sells more than around 20 pods per year of each species so isn't exactly stripping the wilds of seeds- I think pretty much everyone wins; and complaining about occasional screw-ups and the inevitable hybrids that pop up in seeds from the wild seems a bit mean. 

• Like 1

Wasted time & wasted bench space. You should get what you pay for, it's his problem if he cant trust his suppliers. The temptation is to turn a blind eye because you can get something cheap, and not available anywhere else easily. I still have questions about how many pods are collected, i really doubt these guys go wandering off into the forest and come back with a few pods. I suspect the rest are sold elsewhere, hes smart enought to know that ebay buyers will only take a few pods before the price drops.

Edited by manders

yes  these guys  sell to  Australia, USA, Japan, and  every where else,  he / they sell  more  like several thousand ++++ pods I would  think , and  its seasonal,  its  seed time  now  in  Indonesia , not yet in Borneo that is  on about Oct Nov   before the  wet or seasonal ,   but  its  not all bad, cause  they maintain  the current plants for seed collection and not rip them out  like  many other  people do  over that  way , there collected off Gov land I believe and maintained by  the  local people, as a source of income was my  understanding ,  but who really  knows ? ,  keeping  plant stocks going is a good thing , considering  how many wild seed actually germinate in the wild  its not  a huge  loss, sure  that  some seed do  drop off  from time to time ,  but less composition all so means  the  plant's grow  much larger ,I  would  rather  this and having the  plants ripped  out and sold   and gone  for good  as is  the current trend  in  Indonesia  by some  Ebay sellers FB sellers or  poachers  !!.  a fast $$ and  its gone but such are the needs of some  in  that part of  the world .

I have  had  the frustration of  growing from seed plants  that as not what was indicated on  the packet  some 2 to 3 years later when  the fist ID able  pitcher has formed, very frustrating from all the time and effort and  expense if in T/c as well , I challenged the seller and  to his credit  is  sending many replacements to try get what i originally wanted, and not a hybrid, really  not  that hard have collected seed  correctly , have  done  this my self and when you go to  the same areas often enough  you realy know what is what   probably the case of 3 wise monkey  syndrome ?? or  dont realy give a toss!!

Edited by snapperhead51