cephalotus adrian slack

pulsar

possibly ive asked this before

back in the early 80's when i first started building a carnivorous plant collection i had a few cephalotus bought from marston exotics when adrian slack had it

my question is exactly what is the adrian slack clone?

as at the time there were no clones infact very few people had a cephalotus in there collection

now the plant below

59B5AEBF-3328-4564-91B2-BF7A1BAE2C65.jpg

and the plants in this post

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52818

which are cuttings from a plant that i can date back to about 1983 which was bought from adrian slack(think i might still have the receipt )now should i be labeling it cephalotus adrian slack or should it just be labeled as it is now as just cephalotus

I think in circulation and cultivation exist a lot of variations  and of course all labeled as Cephalotus. " Adrian Slack " or Cephalotus Marston exotic 1985 aka "Adrian Slack " and everybody states that his plant is the genuine and of course it is traced back to Adrian Slack in 1980 or as Marston exotic 1985. Anyhow, I personally can hardly believe because I have seen many variations of the quoted 2 plants...

I have, however 2 variations from the many that I have seen and both are very different -  the shape of the pitchers, the teeth, the color..

I personally found both of the plants quite vigorous growing but although they still remain just Cephalotus for me. Since I didn't give their names I continue to name them as I got them...

Here are they ( the pics are taken with purpose without being colored).

Cephalotus. " Adrian Slack "

10355875_691543337549909_571493346226115

Cephalotus Marston exotic 1985 aka "Adrian Slack "

1604695_691543340883242_9167645656217421

I have a couple of young C. follicularis 'Slack' divisions from different sources.

They are both a bit young to be showing fully adult pitchers but I am sure that they were sold in good faith by guys who had received them labelled as from Marston. I have no reason to doubt that they came from Marston stock sometime in the past.

If I get cuttings to strike in due course I would be happy to sell them on labelled as 'Slack' but I am not convinced that there are striking differences other than their heritage.

Cheers,

Steve

Theoretically any clone that came from Marston Exotics could be named as Adrian Slack, or certainly people could (mis?)interpret that as the case.

IMO if a clone has genuinely distinct characteristics then name it, but not with the sources name, as then anything from that source could get labelled the same, even if they are not the same clone.

Agreed, Slack shows provenence, but many will interpret this as a distinct clone.

Clone numbering such as Mike's MK for Sarracenia, or Best Carnivorous VFT clone numbering, and I believe Stephen has started to do for his Cephalotus, might be a better approach, as then the provenence could be retained as a record by the originator.

In this instance that could be ME01, ME02 etc, etc. All of which show they came from Marston Exotics, but different clones.

• Like 1

Agreed, Slack shows provenence, but many will interpret this as a distinct clone.

Clone numbering such as Mike's MK for Sarracenia, or Best Carnivorous VFT clone numbering, and I believe Stephen has started to do for his Cephalotus, might be a better approach, as then the provenence could be retained as a record by the originator.

In this instance that could be ME01, ME02 etc, etc. All of which show they came from Marston Exotics, but different clones.

That is what I do to. I have quite a few AL#s, a few PM#s and now I am going to have to number the best of my seedlings too.

• 2 years later...
On 20/11/2016 at 11:24 AM, Bidde said:

I have more than one Adrian Slacks also. They are clones off course but there exist different adrian slack clones. I think its the same like Philmann clones. 

And few others named after people that supplied them.

Yes Thats right. Charles Brewers red, gold, typical or Dennis Hasting clone, all the same. And some known Names on the market even are very wrong. So think about Klaus Keller giant. Hes only one of some buyers of the clone. And Giant of Harald Weinert is very wrong too. Weinert is a buyer of the clone too only. He has bought it in Sydney bot. garden .