Frost during germination

TheCarnifreak

Hi Ries, I've never tried this myself, I've only germinated Drosophyllum in the greenhouse, but I would have thought it all depends on what happens for the rest of the winter....does it continue to be unusually mild or does it turn into a long extended sub-zero period? We won't know until it happens but if it were me I'd wait a while yet, unless you have such large numbers of seeds to experiment that it doesn't matter. Good luck, it will be interesting to see the results of your experiment.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I don't have enough seeds to experiment this time, so I want te be sure frost isn't a problem... Yes it depends of the winter...but I think they will get some frost when I sow in February... It can still freeze in early May here in the Netherlands.

@Richard: Nice article, funny kind of writing. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone have experience with sowing Drosophyllum outside in February?

Cheers,

Ries

• 1 year later...

Ries, how did you get on? Has anyone else tried anything similar?

I left these out all winter (with some protection from rain), we probably didnt get below -3C.

17268137391_0c68a08e65_z.jpg

One of the plants was little more than a seedling, all were less than a year old.

17268664775_ab10c47cd7_z.jpg

Edited by manders