tuberous hybrid

jp

Hi,

I have in my collection some D.menziesii sups basifolia but all my plants are coming from the same clone, so i can't have any seeds.

A few year ago i try a pollination of one flower of this plant with D.zigzagia polen.

I had some seeds and a year later some small plants.

They have grown very slowly and last year i had for the first time a flower.

Here is some photos where you can see the differences between these 3 plants

on left it's D.zigzagia, on the midle the hybrid and the right D.Menziesii subsp basifolia

the plants

207915ComparatifPlantes.jpg

the traps

628072ComparatifPieges.jpg

and the flowers

741192ComparatifFleurs.jpg

by

• Like 2

What a pity that the hybrid does not have one flower pink and one yellow. :wink: Beside that, magnificent plants and wonderful photos.

If I could ask you one question. What light and how strong you use to lighten your plants? (I hope it is not the sun light... :/)

White colour is nothing surprising here. It depends how it is genetically encoded. For some characteristic phenotype to occur, there must be some enzyme or a protein. Here to produce the colour of a flower. When two crossed species have such genetic information located differently and they are not fitting to produce the enzyme, without it, there won't be any colour = white flower. If the two colours were produced simultaneously than the hybrid could have a mix of them or even a totally different colour as a result of two enzymes working together on same protein. If the colour depends on a protein itself and is not as a product of an enzyme, than the lack of the protein would mean no colour. I could give examples without end. Genetics are fun. :) Watching how some features are passed down from the mother plants to the hybrids, one can suspect how they inherit. Which are dominant, which accumulate, etc.

Of course on the end of that, it could always be an albino form from an accident. Effect of a spontaneous mutation. Rare, but possible. :D If our host was to learn that, he would need to make a back crossing with one of the maternal plants and see the results.

Edited by Cephalotus

• 3 weeks later...

Hi jp,

I must have missed your post! Very interesting hybrid! I am amazed, that this combination leads to viable plants as most combinations I tried either did not germinate at all or died shortly after germination.

@Yuri: no, it is not possible to create crosses between most of the species. Usually, it is no problem to pollinate the flowers, although you may have to take measure to avoid self-pollination even for species which do not self-pollinate. The alien pollen may reduce the barrier for self-pollination and then the own pollen may lead to seed formation. I had this happen in two cases (both with D. andersoniana as the "pollen donor", not sure whether this is of importance). As stated above, those seeds usually either do not germinate at all or the seedlings are not viable.

It is possible, however, to cross closely related (sub)species like any combination of the D. menziesii subspecies (at least all which I tried so far) or you can cross D. whittakeri with D. aberrans. A cross of D. moorei and D. subhirtella also seems to be possible. By the way, those crosses which flowered already, turned out to be sterile.

Best regards

Dieter

Hi jp,

I must have missed your post! Very interesting hybrid! I am amazed, that this combination leads to viable plants as most combinations I tried either did not germinate at all or died shortly after germination.

I have the same problem with a mix between D.menziesii supsp Penicillaris X D.menziesii supsp Basifolia, th the small plants died shortly after germination but the mix between D.menziesii supsp thysanosepala X D.menziesii supsp Basifolia works well.

this hybrid is not vigorous it as take a long timef or get a good size and some of theym are small yet.

you cant see size between the species in this photo the hybrid is in the midle.

159574ComparatifTailles.jpg

by

• Like 1