HELP petiolaris complex

19Silverman93

I recently ordere a bunch of plants from carnisana.pl and as a freebie, they sent me a little baby Ordensis x Broomensis. I have no idea where to start with petiolaris complex 'dews, so any help from potting mix to conditons and care would be massively appreciated.

I also recieved a Prolifera in with the freebies, I gather its a rather less forgiving plant than it's sister, Adelae. Any tips there?

Edited by 19Silverman93

I've been growing my D prolifera in live LFS:perlite, it tends to get overgrown by the LFS. I transplanted a couple of small but growing offsets from the flower stalks to coir:pumice:chopped LFS back in June. I don't know if they didn't like the transplantation or the new medium but they appear to have died.

Edited by Gaz

well, the ord x broom hybrid was potted in little shop of horrors base CP mix with a bunch of perlite added and I added a little plastic dome to the pot to raise humidity. the prolifera got the same basic CP mix and has beenintroduced to my propogator for now to keep it warm and humid. will this be ok for them?

Edited by 19Silverman93

Petiolaris sundews tend to want rather hot temperatures. You'll probably want to include some incandescent bulbs for their lighting, so as to increase the infrared. The three sisters just don't like cool conditions and want some warmth during the day. They aren't on the same level of loving hot conditions like the petiolaris drosera.

thanks for all the tips fellas, Hopefully my first foray into the petiolaris complex won't end in abject failure. :wacko:

I bought a paradoxa a few years ago and had no idea of the special care it needed. Needless to say it didn't live very long on the living room window.

I practically babbed myself when I saw it in the package. I'm still a rank amateur in CP care so I can't say I'd have picked something with special needs like that to grow of my own accord.

I have found that the particularly 'woolly' species from the petiolaris-complex (i.e. D ordensis and lanata and, presumably, D broomensis) do best with relatively deep pots. I use a substrate of approx 4:1:1 river sand:peat:loam, although perlite or more peat may be substituted for the loam. The substrate is kept pretty dry, but the ar is very humid as I use a heated terrarium. I agree with Dave's comments about very strong light and heat.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear 10Silverman93,

Just a short message to tell say that the advices you received from the forumers are really useful. I almost use same techniques as Greg and I have nice results until now. The most complicated period for these plants is the transition between growth and dormancy. Indeed, the substrate has to "dry" (not totally) step by step following the plants activity and that is a big tricky for some species. It is easier to manage this period using light substrate and deep pots.

Regards

Well, I tried my best to forrow the advice you fellas have all kindly pitched in and my little P. comp sundww is still alive, not doing much admittedly but still alive. It's been chilling (or not) in my makeshift mini terrarium based on a heated propogator and to be honest I'm surprised it's lasted this long, if it's not doing a great deal am I to take it it's having a dormant spell then? I've been trying to avoid overwatering but I have noticed that it takes a much longer time for pots to dry out in a warm humid setting and this worries me a bit, esp. with my neps to be honest.

I wanted to shed light on why this kind of plants growing in this tab http://www.cedric-carnivores.fr/cms.php?id_cms=18 says they do the rest to protect them from the heat and keeping them in the dry, quite the opposite from the way that we grow all of us. So what is the correct method to cultivate this kind? I would prefer that Cedric is also to give us explanations of these dissenting views.

• 3 months later...

You want to keep petiolaris complex plants moist but not wet.Keep temperatures 80f-100f.Soil mixture should be 3 parts perlite to 1 part peat.Photoperiod doesn't matter.I personally grow them 18-24 hours of light.Infrared cause them to grow and they don't require dormancy.The most important is ventilation.Sean