unknown pest! (photos up)

Hello everyone!!

I am in need of help!!

Recently i have started to discover some strange bugs walking around my plants!! For a moment i thought they might be Aphids but the body shape doesn't match, as these pests are elongated!!

They seems to hung around the older pitchers and leave a sort of whitish mark on the leaves!!

Initially they were seen on the outside on a Sarracenia or two, but now they seem to be popping everyone and I've even seen a few on the inside :S

Any idea on what could be?

Edited by Malvo

Well it's already dark outside but i will give it a shot!!

Ok, took a pitcher in so i could take a few shots....

This is the state they leave the pitchers in

SAM_0630_zpsef048275.jpg

SAM_0632_zps2bd33ca7.jpg

This is one of the perpetrators

SAM_0634_zpsb9cab05e.jpg

Edited by Malvo

Guest Andreas Eils

Hello Malvo,

lots of tiny, black dots like someone has sprinkled black pepper over your plants is a typical sign of THRIPS attack (if I´m not wrong).

This is one of the perpetrators

Could be a nymph of a thrips. Compare to this picture: https://upload.wikim...usen-Thrips.jpg The one on the right is an adult thrips.

Any chance to get Dimethoate in Portugal like in Bi58 (name of a pesticide manufactured by Compo in Germany)? I´ve had once a thrips attack and Dimethoate worked quick and well. It´s also systemic, staying in the plants´ juice for a couple of weeks.

You should mist your plants with a strong insecticide as soon as possible. The package should say that the agent works against thrips.

Good luck!

Andreas

Edited: Oops, you´ve been a little faster than me, Gary! :wink:

Edited by Andreas Eils

Malvo, i agree with the views of Gaz and Andreas, ie, its cultivation is under attack by thrips. I recommend the use of Neem (our Nim) oil, the fact that it is natural and therefore environmentally safe :Laie_97: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

Thank you all for the help!!

No sure Andreas, ill do a little search and see if something pops up!

I the mean time I've sprayed the plants with a product i had laying around that was given to me by a friend some time ago and that did wonders with another issue i had some time ago with the CP's, ill give it a shot, if no good result show i'll take different measures, or even more aggressive ones if needed!!

I will also be changing the soil as soon as i can!!

Edited by Malvo