Utricularia vulgaris & Drosera rotundifolia at Malham Tarn

Utricularia vulgaris & Drosera rotundifolia at Malham Tarn, Yorkshire Dales National Park, England. I'm assuming its U.vulgaris, it has never flowered in all the years I've known it, but it is base-rich water. I cropped these photos before uploading but for some reason it has posted the originals...

9258080146_1e4f97d3bd.jpg

Carnivorous plants at Malham Tarn NNR. by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

9258087990_a3f754efff.jpg

9255316071_88f36eb8d5.jpg

9258101432_5ed03eeb2a.jpg

• Like 1

Nice to see some CP's in their natural environment here in the UK. As it's in the Dales the habitat is presumably safe from development.

The one thing I remember from my last visit there was how big the bladders on those plants were !!! I used to grow U. Vulgaris but the traps were nowhere near that size.

Well Utricularia vulgaris is very capable of catching tadpoles of the common toad, Bufo bufo! I had that in my former gardenpond. Every spring the traps where full with tadpoles. So a nasty killer it can be!

Alexander

• 1 month later...

Nice pictures !! I have the same species growing in my area, and im in canada!(Drosera rotundifolia, Utri vulgaris) but its hazardous going there because its a very big peatbog, and many cannabis grower hide there and they are very aggressive. So i try to avoid this place.

Anyway, thanks for sharing :)

Edited by Maiden

Reference for what? That he was a visitor, or that he studied the rotundifolia here? Darwin was pals with the original founder of the Malham estate and records show he visited. We know that he studied some of the habitats around the tarn and commented on the level of sheep grazing on parts, predicting the loss of heather through overgrazing (which happened). This is recorded in documents held by the National Trust. The studying of Drosera rotundifolia here is pure conjecture on my part, knowing his interest in the plant and knowing that he studied other habitats here.

There is a big population of Utricularia australis here in my town Leidschendam wich is very nice as it seems to be not a common plant in the Netherlands! It was flowering and that was the way I could verify that indeed it is U. australis. And the water is not that clean either, very strange they grow that well there!

U. vulgaris I have seen recently at 2 other places, both with many flowers. U. vulgaris is also a bigger plant. U. australis seem to be often reluctant to flower.

We have also Drosera rotundifolia here in town. So 2 carnivorous plants here in Leidschendam.

Alexander