Help pls. Which moorland gold to get?

desana

Hi I'm looking to buy moorland gold for my flytraps but not sure which to purchase there's a few on here but prob only 2 that I could use for the traps has anyone any idea which one pls. Ones called mogo, whatever that is and the other a multi purpose compost. Just not sure which one to get cheers for any help.

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Moorland%20gold&search_in_description=0&sb=t&sort=2a&&page=3

It should be the mogo.It says it can be used inplace of peat.

If you're not sure,send them a message explaining you want the pure or additive free MG for carnivorous plants.

ada

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez phoned the store fri spoke to a woman who didn't sound as tho she knew what the hell she was on about. I asked about mogo she said she couldn't find such an item and it was multi purpose I was on about. I said no its mogo I've got yur site here in front of me and it definitely says mogo! Looks like I gonna have to phone back to mix n try n speak to someone who knows what they are on about!

((Jeez it's like being on a quest for the holy grail!!!)))).

• 1 year later...

i grew in moorland gold for years,it is o.k for adult plants but they don't grow and divide anywhere near as fast as they do in peat,and seedlings are so slow its a waste of time.

I know klassman peat is there somewhere as a mate of mine in Ashford can get it easily

Agrees with Ada regarding MOGO....

I planted out several seed tray " cells " with moorland gold, then sowed some hybrid Sarra seeds I had bought.

I had tough grass shoots growing out of nearly every cell, long rooted buggers too so that when I tried to weed the grass out it would pull out most of the soil.

I gave up in the end as I had dislodged most of the seeds.

Some say to microwave it first to kill anything likely to sprout but I've just decided not to bother with it, it was expensive and very average I found...

Not sure where you are in London cephfan but I got my peat from a garden centre on the foots cray bypass, just outside sidcup/ crittals corner area.

Give the "Mogo" it's marching orders, and get some proper Shamrock Irish moss peat. Got myself a nice big sack a couple of years ago, re-potted everything 50/50 peat/perlite ,all growing great now. Substitutes,just ask yourself, De-caff, alchohol free beer, low fat cheese, it all tastes like sh**,,,,,,,moral of the story "Get the real thing" .

• Like 1

I was looking online and found 200L of Irish peat at Euroflora for £20. It has obviously been stacked for quite a while as there is moss growing in a thin layer under the polythene but it seems good stuff.

I got in touch with Frank after looking up 'peat 200' on eBay.co.uk he's certainly a character but it was the closest peat that I could find (JCT 25 of the M25.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...

I have found a Stockist of .....

Klasmann Irish Moss Peat Fine (Recipe 822)  200L £12.24

Silvaperl Perlite Standard 100L 1-5mm £12.00

Cornish Grit (2-4mm) 25kg £4.84

Prices Excluding Vat,  Deliver was £12.50

https://www.bhgsltd.co.uk/

Best to Call as the Klassman is not listed on their web site.

Hope it helps some one

Kev

• 2 weeks later...