2013 Largest Dionaea Trap Competition.

Trev

2013 Largest Dionaea Trap Competition.

OK, It's time again for the Biggest Trap Competition. Due to popular demand we have a few rule changes this year so please read them carefully before posting.

1st Prize for the winner is a Dionaea of your choice from www.vftshop.com

2nd Prize donated by Yuri (prized) is a Dm Ossweill Giant

3rd Prize donated by Guillaume (guillaume) is a Dm Lagrossaguigui

The competition is open to anyone worldwide but the prizes can only be sent within Europe.

The rules are:

The trap must be photographed parallel to the camera, with a clear plastic ruler (in millimetres) in front of the trap, the trap is to be measured across the side just below the teeth, the teeth are NOT included in the measurement. Like this:

B52xShortT2012.jpg

This picture must then be PM'ed to me, (link in my profile) or Emailed to trev[at]vftshop[dot]com. A second picture must be taken without the ruler and immediately posted to this thread. I will post all the measured pictures on the thread on the closing date so we can see who the winner is. Maximum image size of no larger than 850 x 850 pixels. Pictures must be taken this year. You can enter as many times as you like. Competition ends September 30th.

May the biggest trap win!

Trev :)

Edited by Trev
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can we have more than one submission? If I submit my largest trap right now but later in the season another plant produces a larger trap, can I submit another entry or update my entry?

Quote from Trev: You can enter as many times as you like.

So I guess that is a yes, meaning you should submit another entry, as I understand it.

Just throwing in my opinion, rather than a spanner into the works, but I actually dislike like this new 'method' where the photo that the community sees does not show any sort of scale.

The above trap photo (and this is in no way disrespectful to Thomas - he just happened to be the first to post!) could be anything from 5mm across to 50mm across to my eyes! - there is simply no way of telling or indeed appreciating it's size and form just from a quick photo.

To me, the ruler was the key point that united all entries and instantly impressed me when viewing each entry.

• Like 1

The above trap photo (and this is in no way disrespectful to Thomas - he just happened to be the first to post!) could be anything from 5mm across to 50mm across to my eyes! - there is simply no way of telling or indeed appreciating it's size and form just from a quick photo.

That's the point. If someone submits an early picture with ruler of a large trap then that will discourage anyone else from entering the competition if their trap is smaller - thus effectively ending the competition early. The way Trev has done it this year should result in more entries, as entrants will not know the size of the other entries, and the winner only known at the end of the competition.

• Like 4

That's the point. If someone submits an early picture with ruler of a large trap then that will discourage anyone else from entering the competition if their trap is smaller - thus effectively ending the competition early. The way Trev has done it this year should result in more entries, as entrants will not know the size of the other entries, and the winner only known at the end of the competition.

I agree, You are gonna get exited by the pictures that others made.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was that one of the ones that were sold as small plants? I bought mine there in 2011 and it's nowhere near that size. My own fault for keeping it outdoors until this season. It is starting to show some promise though in the last few weeks. Should be good next year or year after.

yes small its in the greenhouse 365, standing in water all the time(yes that's wrong but seems to work) none of the vft are aloud to flower, I tend to start feeding them insects as soon as the first new trap appears.

Here's my B52 I was talking about. As you can see the plant hasn't grown as much as alemcr's (And I let it flower this year as I was away for 2 months when it started).

Good news is I noticed today that it has put out a large trap.

file.jpg

• Like 3