Sign in to follow this  
Greg Allan

drosera regia flowers

I have a D regia that is producing leaves that are over 30cm in length. I have had it since 2005, and this is by far the best it has ever looked. It is now producing a flower stalk. Is it worth allowing it to bloom, or will this affect growth? Also, what are the chances of obtaining seed? I got the plant from Stephen Morley. If I recall correctly, it was labelled 'Big Easy', although it has defied the cultivar description by going dormant, flowering, and producing leaves in excess of 23cm.

Greg

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Greg,

honestly I was expecting already flower images when I saw the headline! :tongue: I´d say: YES, the flowers are worth letting the plant bloom. Provided those aren´t malformed. Too bad I don´t have the images of my flowering Regia on my new computer. It was 2008 or so, when my plant flowered. I don´t grow this species anymore unfortunately. I cannot judge if the flowers have a negative influence on the plant´s growth. As I grew my specimens in comparatively dry air they remained compact in growth anyway - meaning the average length of the leaves were around 25 to 30 cm. (I had the Thomas Carow clone by the way.)

As far as I am aware you need two genetically different plants for a successful pollination. But I have the feeling I have already heard about exceptions...if there wasn´t my damn "Alzheimer"... ;o) I also think I have tried a cross-pollination on my plant but didn´t receive any seed.

But the flowers are a pleasant sight imho.

Cheers

Andreas

Hi Greg. It won't have been from me as I have never grown the alleged "Big Easy". (But would like to just to prove that it would grow normally in greenhouse conditions)

I let mine flower every year and don't feel it adversely affects plants so carry on! I agree with Andreas that self pollinated plants will not produce fertile seed, but some disagree so perhaps it depends on the clone?

Hi All,

The clones I have will produce seed if self pollinated, it seems to depend on when the stigma tips are receptive. I wrote an article on this which was in the CPN in the past year or so.

I have it as a pdf if you want me to email it to you.

Regards

Nigel HC

As I recall, the stigma and the pollen do not mature at the same time, so you must collect pollen, wait, and then add it to the stigma.

http://www.carnivoro...des/D_regia.php

Quote (under the picture on the right):

The flowers are self fertile but the stigmas and anthers mature at different times. You need two flowers open at the same time to successfully pollinate them. To quote Lois Ochs: use "yesterday's pollen on today's stigma".

Edited by Amar

Hi,

What are you doing that's yours D.Regia flowering ? I growing mine from about 3 years, they leafs are about 25-30 cm long but they have never flowered. Maybe this drosera needs rest to produce flower stalk ?

Regards

Mateusz

Hi Mateusz,

They need to be a few years old before they flower, this is a much slower species than others.

Nigel HC

Hi all,

Many thanks for the advice.

Stephen- I'm almost certain that the plant came from you- maybe I am mistaken about it being 'big easy'.

Nigel- many thanks- I will PM you my email address.

Mateusz, are you growing under lights all year round? I have read that D regia is far more inclined to flower if subjected to natural light. My plant is in a greenhouse all year round, with supplemental lighting in winter.

Greg

Greg, I growing my plants under lamps. I going to try to grow them in my greenhouse but only in the warmest months. Unfortunately we have rough winters in Poland, and during these months they will grow under lamps. Maybe it will help them to produce flower stalk.

regia2.jpg

My D. Regias is in greenhouse in winter and outside in summer.

Still have not flower, its leaves are 35-30 cm.

Kateemes, do you have that mesh over your pots so birds can't steal sphagnum?

Have got two plants, one from 2008, one from 2010, both growing nicely, neither has produced a flower yet.

Kateemes, do you have that mesh over your pots so birds can't steal sphagnum?

Yes