Hello everyone

Sarracenia1983

Hi,

I have just become a new member of the carnivorous plant UK forum this afternoon. I currently own and care for 2 venus fly traps. I find carnivorous plants extremely fascinating. The 2 venus fly traps I own are still small, but are doing well.

I find pitcher plants very fascinating as well, the only problem is the size they grow to. Having the space for me to keep one might be a problem.

I live in the Nottinghamshire area, I enjoy going to the gym, cycling, walking, martial arts, doing voluntary work, watching football, watching DVD's, playing computer games, caring for carnivorous plants.

If anyone has any good information on looking after venus fly traps and other carnivorous fly traps. I am more than happy to share tips. :-)

Welcome to CPUK. You will find that there are quite a few people in the Notts area that grow carnivorous plants.

Whereabouts in Notts are you ?

Regarding pitcher plants not all of them grow to a large size and I am sure that there would be several that you could choose from that you would be able to grow even with limited space.

Dave

Welcome to the forums, glad you could join us. Dave's right you could try some smaller pitchers, e.g. Cephalotus follicularis, the smaller heliamphoras, and I suppose if you kept some sarracenia in small pots this might restrict their growth enough for your growing space too. Good luck.

Thank you kindly for the welcome.

I live in Newark, which is a town in the surrounding area of Nottingham, it is good to hear that there are smaller pitcher plants available. I will have a look into it. There was a big pitcher plant in Somerset that actually eat a great tit bird.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-14416809

Does anyone know of any carnivorous plant events or shows in the Nottinghamshire or Lincolnshire area?

Edited by Sarracenia1983

I am not aware of any shows in the Notts/Lincs area. However throughout the year there are a number of growers who hold open days and these are always a good means of seeing other peoples collections, getting good advice and buying plants.

In addition some growers/nurseries attend some of the garden shows such as the Harrogate Spring Show and Gardeners World Live at the NEC.

Dave

Edited by 3Star

Thank you for the information on the events at the NEC in Birmingham. Do you have any dates and times, when these events are running please?

Not sure of actual dates for the shows but if you do a quick search on the internet they will be on there. The Carnivorous Plant Society also have a stand at Gardeners World Live.

Edited by 3Star

• 2 weeks later...