Heliamphora heterodoxa

Rikass

Hi everyone, I'm thinking in buying an H. heterodoxa, is my first helli...

I found an window that is around 17ºC now in the winter, and in the summer rarely passes 25ºC.

This window receives some hours of direct sun in the afternon, and in the morning indirect sun.

I did, for use as soil, a mixture of perlite, sphagnum moss, peat and volcanic rock (1/1/1/1)

What do you think? What are your tips for the substrate?

Some advice if the plant starts to look bad, what to do?

Thnanks

I use Sphagnum moss/perlite mix for my windowsill Heliamphora. Depending on where you are getting the plant from, it might be used to a significantly higher humidity than it will receive on a windowsill, so you might need to acclimatise it. Typically Heliamphora pitchers are very brittle (they break really easily), so if you see them going soft and flexible then that would be a good indication that there is something wrong, such as the humidity being too low.

Thanks for the comment :D

I didn't know that helli pitchers are brittle.

The helliamphora that I order is in an window too, so humidty not so high, and the mix that the cultivator uses is perlite and peat... He send me the plant with the soil so I don't have to worry about the substracte... But I also haveSphagnum moss, so I will put a little in the plant to.

About the watering what do you suggest?

Thanks

Personally I would not mess about with disturbing it when you receive it and I certainly would not consider repotting or adding Sphagnum. I would leave it as-is until it has at least settled for a few months - it will be extremely sensitive to change, with being transported and put into a different location. I keep mine very wet, but as I say, I use Sphagnum moss/perlite mix, so it is more open. I don't really have any experience with growing them in a peat/perlite mix, so don't really know about watering that. You would probably be best asking the grower how he kept it.