Heliamphora - light

Rikass

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking in getting my first heliamphora, maybe H. heterodoxa x minor...

The conditions that I found for it are great...It's a window that at the day doesn't exceed 26 degrees, and at night drops to 10 (or less)-17 degrees... The humidity in the day is around 70% at night 80/90%...

The bad thing is the light, this windows just receives 3-4 hours of full sun, the rest of the day is just indirect sun... This is enough light for a helli?

Thanks ;)

I find that my windowsill Heliamphora have very flared pitchers, with small nectar spoons, in the winter months. This can be alleviated by extending the day length with a compact fluorescent light above it. It starts getting dark here at 4pm, so I have a timer set to switch on the light then and go off at 10pm.

Two years ago I grew my Helis in my windowsill (well, is not a windowsill like yours in England, inside the hose, but outside (Don´t know how do you name that... Here we don´t have "indoors" windowsill as you have in England.

Well, Helis grew properly and fine outside, under full sun, no protection at all, and all weather inclemencies.. Well nectar spoon development, and good pitcher shape. BUT when winter aproached, pitchers started to turn very wide, very green and no nectar spoon... Light lack sinthoms.

As you have been told, you may need suplementary light for the winter.

[...]Don´t know how do you name that... Here we don´t have "indoors" windowsill as you have in England.[...]

I think in the UK it is generally accepted that a windowsill is indoors and outdoors is a window ledge.

Window ledge!

OK, thanks!

Well, I grow my plants pn my window ledge. Is almost as if they were growed outside, but a little bit more protected. And unfortunately, not as sunny as if they where growing outside in a garden, because the building shadow them when the sun pass through the top of the house.

Don´t know why we don´t have also windowsills here...

Edited by The body snatcher pod

Thanks,

I think that grow it in my outdoor will be bad :/ My temperatures here in my garden in summer reach to 30 or more degrees... But the it's full sun the most part of the day!

I will try if she didn´t like, I put her in my terrarium, but i don´t have enough light in the terrarium to :/

• 4 months later...