Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Potteringaround

Pinguicula Grandiflora

9 posts in this topic

Should my Ping be going dormant already? All of the leaves are dying back. Please help.

It depends where you keep it.Some of mine have gone dormant now,but some in my wife's bog barrel are still going strong,these don't get as much sun though.

ada

Mine is kept on a north facing window. Nearly all of the leaves have now died back.

Not a plant for keep growing inside ,it s a plant you must grow this outside whole yeare els you can not hold alive on long term,

Cheers Will

Yes,as willy says,its better kept outside all year round if it is pure p.grandiflora.Or it won't survive long, They don't like it too warm.

ada

If you are wanting to grow temperate pings inside on your windowsil you will be alot better trying a go at growing some like dertosensis , fiorii , leptoceras , longifolia , macroceras , mundi , nevadenis , poldinii , vallisnerifolia these aren't as hardy as grandiflora , corsica , vulgaris .

Ok thanks for the replies. Will it be ok outside when its dormant? I have a mini greenhouse I can put it in.

If they get too dry/warm then it does seem to force dormancy, a lot of mine started to do that when I let them get too dry and they started to go into dormancy.

Since it has turned wetter and cooler they are coming back to life again.

The biggest P. grandiflora's this year were in a bog surrounded by a mass of Iris so very shaded.

Most of my other temperate pings are in a well ventilated cloche on the north side of the greenhouse.

Before this I used to grow them under the benches in a shady spot, they were very happy there.

Hi potteringaround

Grandiflora are natinve pings so are indeed OK outside all year round, although if it is in a small pot you run the risk of loosing it in the freeze and thaw cycles through winter, in a bog or large container with some mass they have no problem surviving and indeed thriving.

They do best in bogs with partial shade, so if you have some sarrs or other plants in a container and plant it between them they will get all the shade they need from the growing pitchers.

Cheers

Steve