Followers 0
bugmuncher

largest flower

9 posts in this topic

hi guys just a quickie

which utricularia has the biggest flowers and where can i get some

thanks

dave

Probably U. humboldtii, but not the easiest to get to flower. U. longifolia has quite large flowers and is easier to get to come into bloom. Here's a picture of mine from a few weeks ago and it is still flowering:

RI0Vo.jpg

Wow stunning , where can I get some from and how much should I expect to pay

Thanks

Dave

I have yet to order from them, so someone else can probably tell you if they're good or not, but Carnivoria.eu (http://www.carnivoria.eu/index.html) seem to have a good utric selection.

I got mine from the Little Shop of Horrors and although they don't have them listed at the moment, it might be worth contacting them.

I've never used littleshopofhorrors but I increasingly read many do. I've always seen them as a bit pricey but I guess their value swings on their definition of 'good sized' plant. I’ll have to try them out sometime.

Several of the Orchidioides utrics have large, impressive flowers - it really depends on what you enjoy. I love the white flowers (w/ yellow throat) of U. alpina - especially the 'Pittier Moon' clone - over here on Bob's photofinder (mine are near the bottom w/ RL7836 in the file name). In addition, U. alpina is quite forgiving for new growers.

U. alpina seems to be one that I struggle with. It just doesn't grow well for me. I will have to look into my cultivation conditions, as yours look beautiful Ron.

U. alpina seems to be one that I struggle with. It just doesn't grow well for me. I will have to look into my cultivation conditions, as yours look beautiful Ron.

I use to be able to grow it really well, but not anymore, I think it prefers it a bit warmer in winter nearer 10c (my greenhouse is only 5C) and grew better in my old greenhouse within a separate heated frame. I struggle with longifolia too. U.nelumbifolia and reniformis are the easiest growing large-flowered Utrics for me