Thank you Dianne and Ian!

I just wanted to say a big “Thank You” to Dianne and Ian for their generosity in giving away hundreds of beautiful plants. I received the plants this afternoon and was very pleasantly surprised. There were so many plants I had to panic buy some more pots!

I particularly like the mixed *purpurea* hybrids and can’t wait to see how the S. x Ahlsii develops.

Here are a few pictures of them settling in their new home.

15012008818.jpg

15012008821.jpg

15012008820.jpg

15012008822.jpg

Others feel free to share you pics and comments on Dianne and Ian’s plants in this thread.

Thanks again Dianne and Ian, you two really brightened up my day.

0rmus

Edited by 0rmus
  • Like 1

i would also like to thank dianna and ian for the plants i recieved, i was stunned at how many they sent me, so many in fact that i ran out of peat and moss so had to grab some on the way home from work

thanks again guys

dave

• Like 2

0rmus, its Dianne* :wink:

I thought I was going to get no more than 20 plants as I asked for 4 batches but I got more than 80 instead! :jive: I ran out of peat while repotting the sarrs and until I can get some more, I'm standing them in water.

Thanks a lot Ian and Dianne!!! :good2:

Edit: Newcoms posted at the exact same time as me! 19:31PM. LOL

Edited by Darkrai283
  • Like 2

If i had money for postage i would have taken them up on the offer, as you know what i'm like with Sarrs!

Anyway, great plants, and a big Thanks to Ian and Dianne, you great, great people!

• Like 1

Mine arrived while I was at the hospital today so I have to collect them in the morning. I can't wait. Thank you thank you in advance. I only had enough money to buy one batch but would have bought four if I could.

• Like 1

Hi All

Thank you very much for the good feedback and thank you's from everyone. Its very much appreciated. I have replied to you all who have sent pm's . That took a little while.......lol. Your all very welcome and a BIG thank you to all of you who asked us for plants as you have helped us clear a little bit of space. Anybody else want any?.............lol we still got more to shift.

And thank you to Ormus for sharing your pics.

Regards Ian and Dianne

• Like 2

Hi All

I have just worked out the figures for postage that was paid to us and what it actually cost for postage and minus paypal fees. So far it has raised £42.47 for Andy. Well done all of you who had plants!!!

Regards Ian and Dianne

• Like 4

I only had £7 in my Paypal account so could only afford one batch, but they're all languishing in my greenhouse now (after only collecting CP's for a couple of years, I'm now drastically in need of another greenhouse!). As I said in my PM, it must have taken them both ages to pack all the plants up!

Many thanks again :clapping:

PS, when sending someone money through Paypal, send it as a Gift (in the Personal tag) then no one gets charged anything on the transaction :thumbsup:

• Like 1

PS, when sending someone money through Paypal, send it as a Gift (in the Personal tag) then no one gets charged anything on the transaction :thumbsup:

Yes good point, I discovered the same when opening a Paypal account 'special for to order 4 lots from Ian ! :) :)

I also discovered that having a new account there was no money in it, of course, so it took money from my nominated bank account via an eCheque, which now means that poor Ian must wait a few days for the eCheque to clear :(

It seems that if you only have partial funds in your paypal account they will issue the balance as an eCheque against your bank.

(you can designate a debit or credit card but then there will be a %charge against either you or the giftee - at your discretion- I think )

Thanks lots, I & D.

Edited by MalcolmP

Thank you very much Ian and Dianne,

Up to now I have only kept VFTs so these are my first Sarracenia plants! I am excited about seeing how they go. I got one batch which was more than enough for the space I have left in my collection which is possibly pushing the boundaries of what my girlfriend will allow! (Although she does also enjoy the plants).

PS the third picture on this thread shows a red Sarr hybrid, does anybody know what it is as I now have one!

and how fast/big will the chopped down Flavas grow back?

Thanks again you good good people!!

Hi Tom

Your welcome!

The plant in the 3rd picture is a Sarracenia catesbaei. Its a cross with Sarracenia flava and a Sarracenia purpurea.

The flava that has been cropped back should start (in our experience) producing new pitchers in the next few weeks.

Regards Dianne

Thanks so much to both of you. they are such brilliant plants. You've gone above and beyond the call regarding putting extra plants in as well. I am so happy have just gone out to buy extra pots.

Were all those plants labelled mixed Sarracenia hybrids Catesbaei as I got a couple too?

Also what is the 3K Venus flytrap clone? Is it one of your own?

Edited by Richard Bunn

Hi Richard

Your welcome!

Yes the ones marked mixed hybrid are all Sarracenia catesbaei's. They are all my own cross from many years ago.

The 3k are my own cross, again something that I did years ago.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

Yes the ones marked mixed hybrid are all Sarracenia catesbaei's. They are all my own cross from many years ago.

The plant in the 3rd picture is a Sarracenia catesbaei. Its a cross with Sarracenia flava and a Sarracenia purpurea.

Named after Mark Catesby, an English naturalist who visited Virginia 1712-1719, and Carolina 1722-1726 and went on to publish several illustrated volumes about his trips, naming a few Sarracenia in the process.

Ive been googling and trying to learn sarracenia genetics and am a bit confused (easily done !)

1) Do I understand that any seedling from a cross of flava with purpurea will be a catesbaei.

2) Or did someone (maybe Catesby himself) once upon a time select a particular seedling, name it after Catesby and since then it got raised to species status.

If (1) then these genetically diverse seedlings could have very different appearances yet have the same name?

If (2) then should we call Ian's seedlings S. catesbaei var salterii (or salteraei ?), or some similar name ? Maybe it isnt a species so S. Xcatesbaei var salterii.

BUT if (2) it could only be a S. catesbaei if it were a clone of the original seedling,, argh!

Which makes me wonder when surnames get latinized what determines if they get -ii or -aei, more googling needed,,, (edit: guess : perhaps if the last letter of surname is a vowel it gets aei)

All very confusing, I blame Linaeus :)

Edited by MalcolmP

Hi Malcolm

Catesbaei is a loose term given for any plant that has the cross of S. flava and s. purpurea, and does not even cover all the different variants of S. flava and S. purpurea.

The thing is, the mixed hybrids that we sent out could have a bit of anything in them as there is a chance that something else could have got into them, so Sarracenia mixed hybrid is the best description to keep with the plants.

Hope this helps.

Regards Ian

Thanks for the pics Newcomms.

Looking at your pictures though reminds me of something I should have mentioned, for example the plant that looks a lot like an S. purpurea ssp venosa, it is unlikely to be a pure clone but a plant very close to the parent but where there is doubt it should still be refered to simply as a hybrid or plant-u-like.

So to all, No matter how much a plant looks like something well it will not be other than a hybrid, an S. flava, an S. leucophylla or an S. excellens for example.

Ian.

Ian> "Hope this helps."

Thanks Ian, yes it does a lot.

I looked at mine and saw that some were almost all over purple and others were green with purple veins, so I got to thinking what a catesbaei should look like, and that is where I floundered in the googling ;)

[humour]Perhaps I'll select the prettiest and call it S. ianii ssp malcolmii :D [/humour]

I received my packet yesterday and when I opened it, I thought it was Christmas ! So many plants ! I couldn't believe it !

Many, many thanks Ian ! This is extremely kind of you ! :wink:

Friendly,

Pierre-Emmanuel

Ian> "Hope this helps."

Thanks Ian, yes it does a lot.

I looked at mine and saw that some were almost all over purple and others were green with purple veins, so I got to thinking what a catesbaei should look like, and that is where I floundered in the googling ;)

[humour]Perhaps I'll select the prettiest and call it S. ianii ssp malcolmii :D [/humour]

Do a Google search for cpphotofinder. You'll find photographs of all known species and most registered hybrids there.