Sphagnum peat moss?

Thanks for that. can i buy this from B&Q at all. Or would it be the local garden center.

Last time I checked, B&Q and all the major garden centres have stopped stocking peat. Your best chance is an independent garden centre. Some of us have switched to a more environmentally friendly peat, Moorland Gold. I get mine locally from Gavsgrow, who also do mail order, as do the Organic Gardening Catalogue and several others. If you have any local organic shops then they might stock it or even be willing to get it for you.

I just posted about this aswell, ive been scouring the net for the last few days trying to find a uk source , but now in 2012 it seems to be rather difficult to find.

Your best bet if you really want peat would probably be a local garden center, not a big chain.

I ended up going for Moorland Gold from the Organic Gardenign Catalogue as above, as it was the cheapest and shipping was only £1 .. all in all something like £12.95 for 40L of Moorland Gold shipped.

You can also buy small premade mixes from the likes of Little Shop Of Horrors or Triffid Nurseries, however at £7 odd for 3.5L it is quite an expensive way to do it!

If you find a supplier let me know!

I just posted about this aswell, ive been scouring the net for the last few days trying to find a uk source , but now in 2012 it seems to be rather difficult to find.

Your best bet if you really want peat would probably be a local garden center, not a big chain.

I ended up going for Moorland Gold from the Organic Gardenign Catalogue as above, as it was the cheapest and shipping was only £1 .. all in all something like £12.95 for 40L of Moorland Gold shipped.

You can also buy small premade mixes from the likes of Little Shop Of Horrors or Triffid Nurseries, however at £7 odd for 3.5L it is quite an expensive way to do it!

If you find a supplier let me know!

Ive just called my local garden centre, they dont stock the shamrock, but they have a product called (Erin irish moss peat) have any of you ever heard or used this pls many thanks!

The last lot I bought was a year ago plants are fine in it . Its Irish moss peat produced by Clover.

I got it from TFM in 100 litre packs. And the postage was reasonable at £5 per 100L bag

Heres the link to their online shop

Link to Peat

postage is £6.98 now but the peat is under a fiver, seems good value to me

• Like 1

Haha wish i'd waited until i got home next week, then i would've seen this! ah well, ive heard great things about Moorland so here goes!

It's pretty cheap even with delivery costs. The only (minor) downside that I've found is that it contains some grass seeds. Not a major problem for grown plants, but a bit of a bugger with seedlings.

> "The only (minor) downside that I've found is that it contains some grass seeds. Not a major problem for grown plants, but a bit of a bugger with seedlings."

Yes, I've seen this prob (with weed seeds) in many threads about Moorland Gold.

Can you put it under "virgin" germination condx first, flush out the weed seedlings,

(maybe even a couple of times)

then sow your "special" seeds

or do the weeds just have too wide a spectrum ?

I'm just thinking aloud cos I dont have a Moorland Gold stocikist near me

( well, not that I've found yet !)

Edited by MalcolmP

I'm just thinking aloud cos I dont have a Moorland Gold stocikist near me

( well, not that I've found yet !)

This seems to be the only stockist in the SW but looks expensive to me. It's half that price at "Out of This World" in Nottingham, but they don't deliver :(

Best of luck.

THIS place sells and delivers, £12.65 in total for 40 litres. Someone posted a link a while back for somewhere even cheaper, but I've lost the URL now :confused:

Out Of This World has Moorland Gold for £6.99, but I don't know how much they charge delivery.

That's the one I was thinking of :smile:

I'll try them next time I'm in need of compost, I can't see the total cost being more than £12.65....

Yep, to me too ! Thanks.

and I have read that MG reaches only ph5

cf. Shamrock and other 'virgin' sphmp clock in at about ph4 (which is what I observed in my fish keeping days)

been hunting this one but cant find a supplier!

(Klasmann medium grade sod cut Irish moss peat).... :verymad: :verymad:

been hunting this one but cant find a supplier!

(Klasmann medium grade sod cut Irish moss peat).... :verymad: :verymad:

Hi, went shopping for Shamrock Irish Moss Peat today, phoned around and went to about 3 nurseries and then eureka! I found some locally in the West Midlands, and bought 3 -125 lite bags at £8.99 each, a good investment I think, as this is going to get harder to find in the future.

Cant tell you how thrilled I am, had just about given up finding any.

If anyone is interested it was at Beechcroft |Nurseries, on A491 off Junction 4 of M5

Hope this helps someone

Trish

It's pretty cheap even with delivery costs. The only (minor) downside that I've found is that it contains some grass seeds. Not a major problem for grown plants, but a bit of a bugger with seedlings.

If you gave suitable quantities a blast in the microwave this should kill the grass seeds and leave it clear for you to sow in. Safety warning - only do this to damp material or you could end up with a fire.

• 3 months later...

Hi - found this forum when I was googling 'sphagnum peat moss', as I couldn't find it in the local garden centres.

Hope the following is of use to someone.

Have just bought 2 x 100l Erin from gocompost £12 for two bags plus £4.99 delivery to UK Midlands post codes (or you could collect it from their garden centres) - http://www.gocompost.co.uk/erin-moss-peat-bale-100lt_p22425390.htm.

Also Charlies Store - Harlescott, Shrewsbury - has 100l bags of 'Clover' at £4.99 a bag - collection only, I believe.

All the best,

Steve

• 2 years later...

Hi

Could someone be so kind as to point me to a place in lancashire (or preferably north lancs) that I can pick up a 100 litre bag of peat from. Have had a look around most of the local garden centres, DIY shops and nurseries. Even at Barton Grange it was all peat free compost. The only place that I've managed to find some is online and the shipping seems pretty dear for what I'm after.

Mike

Edited by MWilko86