Best Carnivorous Plant Store

I was wondering if anybody has used 'Best Carnivorous Plant Store http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/? If so how was your experience of them/quality of plants. I'm curious as they have a massive seed collection and I'm thinking about using them to buy some seeds of the bread and butter plants to that I can raise and sell at my local farmer's market. I figure it's cheaper (although a little slow) than asexually propagating my own plants.

Edited by Richard Bunn

I've bought a lot of plants from him, he always sends them well packaged and labeled. Shipping is fast from the time of order, and the sizes are ok, if the plants are small, he always puts in a few extra. As with many seed sources, there are always some that are not as fresh as they could be, but generally I have had good germination with what I received from him, and he takes care to send you quality stuff.

That sounds great nadja, especially seeing as you live so far away from him. I don't think the minimum order will be too much of a problem as I tend to wait and buy a few things at once, no doubt I'll buy a few personal plants. I'm actually looking forward to starting up this project. I just want to sell the standard windowsill plants and a few suitable outdoor things (S. purpurea etc) that will grow well here in Ireland. I'm mainly in it just to promote the hobby over here, also hand out growing info with each sale. Plus it can help put a little dent into the cost of my plant addiction.

You must keep in mind seeds of pings are not easy to germinate ,i order some to best carnivorous,notting came out, like the most of the pingseeds you buy elswhere,it s very difficult to grow pings from seeds,sarra and drosera seeds germinate very well.

Plants looks meaby spended but you allways got more then you expect,if you count the amount of plants you received then she are cheap, :l_sunny:

Cheers Will

• 1 month later...

I know topic is old... However if someone want to buy there he must has on mind that shipment of plants isnt cheap. I paid 13€ but it was shipped for 98Kč = 4€

and 3€ Handling costs (for what?... I don't know). Should be information that 11 euro is cost for nothing :D to pay more only ;)

P.S. I dont know what will he do if as for shipment will be selected more expensive option. More money for seller for free?

• Like 1

I know topic is old... However if someone want to buy there he must has on mind that shipment of plants isnt cheap. I paid 13€ but it was shipped for 98Kč = 4€

and 3€ Handling costs (for what?... I don't know). Should be information that 11 euro is cost for nothing :D to pay more only ;)

P.S. I dont know what will he do if as for shipment will be selected more expensive option. More money for seller for free?

It's important to understand all sellers have hidden overhead costs in producing/delivering a product to the consumer that aren't very apparent when you purchase a plant. Many have to purchase materials to package the plants, select plants, uproot them, wash them, label them, package them, and then drive to the post office to deliver them. Harvesting is one of the most costly parts of running a nursery business. Time is money, and some have to pay employees to do this work. Here in the US, this also means they have insurance, government fees, health care plan, training, 401K retirement plans, etc. Don't forget some pay rent every month to operate, and on top of that, they have to pay for water and gas/electricity/materials to grow plants. It's tough to understand what a seller does to make a product available to the consumer unless you've done it yourself and seen how hard it is to be in business.

Try making a living selling plants (not just selling on the side here and there), and you will see what I'm saying-nurseries have to justify their cost of operating and make a profit or else they won't be in business. Many live paycheck to paycheck and their income is reliant upon sales. They have to feed their family. Typically, the corporations that do large scale can afford to eat these shipping/handling costs because they make money on volume. They tend to offer less variety, which increases their efficiency and cuts down on their overhead.

I know this because I worked for a large wholesale nursery and managed their largest production facility.

• Like 1

Pawel,

Nice inexperienced consideration - but really out of reality.

We have calculated our postage and handing as "AVERAGE" for all parcels. No difference if you buy 5 or 500 plants in one parcel, you always pay the same sum. If you have a small order, than you pay a bit more for postage, if you have a larger you have an advantage as you pay less than real costs. Thats how it is working at BCP.

Did you pay any taxes? Do you have any official employee? We YES. As we are a serious business, we must calculated with much more costs, like VAT and salary, which are also included in the final price.

You are the private person. You are selling plants for your "hobby" and doing this in your free time. But you can´t count with those additional costs at all! That is the main difference and maybe your "point of view".

Another point: Our policy is have a system much easy, uncomplicated for buyers. I can´t imagine how to fast pre-calculate the real postage rate until I have all plants packaged as I don´t know the real weight before the parcel is finalize.Thats we decided work with an AVERAGE postage for all kind of pacels. It seems all customers are happy with this system, except one from Poland. ;-)

What I remember, we packaged your parcel for more than 2 hours, and the handing EUR 3 seems to be too costly for you? If yes, I like to invite you work in my nursery for just this wage. Are you interested in? ;-)

Kamil Pasek

www.BestCarnivorousPlants.net

Edited by Kamil

Pawel,

We have calculated our postage and handing as "AVERAGE" for all parcels. No difference if you buy 5 or 500 plants in one parcel, you always pay the same sum. If you have a small order, than you pay a bit more for postage, if you have a larger you have an advantage as you pay less than real costs. Thats how it is working at BCP.

Did you pay any taxes? Do you have any official employee? We YES. As we are a serious business, we must calculated with much more costs, like VAT and salary, which are also included in the final price.

You are the private person. You are selling plants for your "hobby" and doing this in your free time. But you can´t count with those additional costs at all! That is the main difference.

Another point: Our policy is have a system much easy, uncomplicated for buyers. I can´t imagine how to fast pre-calculate the real postage rate until I have all plants packaged as I don´t know the real weight before the parcel is finalize.Thats we decided work with an AVERAGE postage for all kind of pacels. It seems all customers are happy with this system, except one from Poland. ;-)

What I remember, we packaged your parcel for more than 2 hours, and the handing EUR 3 seems to be too costly for you? If yes, I like to invite you work in my nursery for just this wage. Are you interested in? ;-)

Kamil Pasek

Kamil you forgot to mention the 15% discount of free plants on all orders and the many plants you ad per species :thumbsup:

Cheers Will

Edited by will9

• 2 weeks later...

Pawel,

You are the private person. You are selling plants for your "hobby" and doing this in your free time. But you can´t count with those additional costs at all! That is the main difference and maybe your "point of view".

Kamil Pasek

Hello Kamil and hello all others,

Yes its only my point of view because as private grower I pack plants personally and it was harder to understand where are costs. If I pay for packing about 0,4 PLN for new box and additionally about 1 PLN for components so sum with cheap delivery isnt 13EUR but 10-13 PLN. ;)

In Poland its general that people look for cost of delivery and addictional costs. Big auction service Allegro.pl also introduced restriction that sellers can't get for shipment more then necessary. Addictional cost are always in price of each products

I'm sure not only I look at the additional costs. More people counts every cent and sometimes if delivery with additional costs cost more they prefer to buy plants from different store. Additionally I'm a student so I particularly count every cent ;))

You must know that average salary in Poland is very low in comparison with other EU countries. More people havent any job and many of workers earn less then 12EUR per day ;D you know what I mean...

Maybe this are cultural differences.

Yes If you want hire me I want this job :D I earn 4EUR per day now so every additional work is welcome ;P

I'm sure that change in cost of shipment for small ald big boxes will attract customers.

I obviously abstract of plants which you sell. They are very attractive

Best regards,

Pawel

Edited by Paweł Król

Kamil, I could work for free for you :laugh2: , if you believe that 3 EU is expensive or 10 EU, imagine how costs us who live in Central America and we earn 60% less than you, where the economy is much lower than Europe, and I wish I could get Kamil plants without the restrictions of countries such as here :wall3: .

:Laie_97:

Best Regards Kamil.

Ruben Resendiz.

to buy plants from different store. Additionally I'm a student so I particularly count every cent ;))

You must know that average salary in Poland is very low in comparison with other EU countries. More people havent any job and many of workers earn less then 12EUR per day ;D you know what I mean...

12 Euro pro day?And this is still Europe ?(but i not see this on the prices of the plants i buy in Polen or Chez,she have the same price like in the rest of Europe,then Kamil earnt very match money when you go compared whit the money you earn t pro day) intresting to know.

i not think in Belgium someone work for lesser then 10Euro pro hour and this is cheap,unbelievable

Last i read that EU ministers earnt abouth 20 000 Euro pro month,some even more,but she have off course a lot of work to do for set this all right!

Ruben you even earnt 60% lesser then this ?then live is very cheap where you live,or people are very poor?

Cheers Will

Sorry for redirecting the topic to social debate, but it is interesting too...

Will, yes, this is still EU and Czech is not far from this (even though i think we have higher sellery than in Poland) :smile: Even a few of my friends earn such low amounts. Some regions are quite ok (the region where i live is still quite ok i think), some are poor, cities are usually better... etc. Many factors play roles. The education is one of the most important - low chance to get a good job if you do not have a high school or university. On the other hand, for example the food in Czech is cheaper than in England, Holland etc. (i do not have any experience with buying food in Belgium) and the state universities are free (more or less).

I think that only a few of us can imagine, how does the living in Mexico look like... or even some poor African countries.

PS: 10 euro pro hour? I take that job! :biggrin:

PS: 10 euro pro hour? I take that job!

Yes meaby ,but we can not buy match for this,a bag of peat from 250 liter cost 15 Euro,heating my greenhouse to 5° in winter(36m²)cost me 500Euro per winter,heating and electricity for the housse is arround 2000 Euro per year,a bread 1,50 Euro.Diesel for my car 1,40 Euro for a liter,a glas of cola or a cofee in a bar 1,50 till 2,20 Euro.If you must rent a little flat you pay at least 300 a 450 Euro per month.

Live is not cheap here,if you earn only 10 Euro per hour then you must see very carefull how to managed for stay alive,you have notting left on the end of the month,only to short, :wall3:

Cheers Will

I am quite sure the legislation is very similar in eastern EU countries.

We have a minimal wage limit, so for the unqualified work it is between EUR 3-4 per hour. That is the minimal wage you must get by law. If you are working for less, you are probably working on illegal agreement.

The unqualified students ask very often EUR 4-6 per hour for temporary/holliday job, nobody is much interested work for less. Much qualified staff or gets much, much more. The state awerage is about EUR 1000 per month in CZ.

Haha :) its legal. I have agreement.

Polish reality can't be understood for many of peaople living on west site of Europe.

Yes we have minimal guaranteed salary. - Its 1500zł now per month (about 375 euro) but many people has only agreement for part of full time job.

Prices for many goods are lower. For example: rent of flat which is ownership - 550zł (54m²)

Some kind of compresion of prices for food is possible when you will look into online store flyer

e.g. Tesco or Kaufland (= Lidl) which are popular in west site of europe and east site too.

http://www.tesco.pl/...-ul-1-maja-370a

http://www.kaufland....D=2860&PageId=0

Fuel in Poland cost around:

LPG 2,7 PLN

Diesel - 5,7 PLN

Eurosuper 95 - 5,7 PLN

Superplus 98 - 5,9 PLN

When you will buy something in Poland it can be in fair price to polish earnings and very cheap if you earn around 1000-1500 euro per mont but if i will buy something from outside of Poland its often cost more because PLN isnt equal to EUR.

So maybe for most of you note about price for shipment and packing was funny or unimaginable but for me it is understandable :)

However price of plants arent lower in Poland - Why? I think that when people see how many EUR they will pay for them they want get same price for himself even if its possible to cut prices.

Kamil - 1000 eur salary in your country and more in different regions is one of reason why some people living in countries like Poland and working abroad. If you like films see "In Time" with J.Timberlake. There is shown how some are borned in better "countries" and they live on higher level and more of other people try to stay alive and grab some time for himself in their world. Its like reality told otherwise.

I'm sorry for off topic post but conversation is pulled to this site I think.

All the best,

Pawel

Edited by Paweł Król

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What I remember, we packaged your parcel for more than 2 hours, and the handing EUR 3 seems to be too costly for you?
While I cannot comment about Eurozone wages, I have received many parcels from BCP and am always amazed at how well the plants are packaged - truly amazing how much care & effort are taken! :thanks::tu:

I was wondering if anybody has used 'Best Carnivorous Plant Store http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/? If so how was your experience of them/quality of plants.

Some interesting debate going on here but to return to the original question, I ordered D cistiflora (2 portions), and a couple of Pings (2 portions each) from BCP in June of this year. The price of plants was around €37 I recall and then various charges totalling around €19 were added, the total price was €56 (£46). The plants were well packaged and the portions were quite generous, especially the D cistiflora which consisted of a number of plants with stems and a few consisting of just the immature rosettes. I also received some bonus seeds although none have germinated as yet...not giving up though :)

Unfortunately all of the stemmed D cistiflora have since died, probably due to my inexperience with this species. The D cistiflora rosettes are still with me as are the Pings which, although still small, are doing quite well.

If I were ordering from a UK professional CP web site I would expect to pay less than this for the plants and much less for the add-on charges, but on the other hand, in the UK, I would not have been able to find the plants I wanted...so it was Hobsons Choice as they say.

Taking into consideration the generosity of the portions, the bonus seeds, the good packaging and the fact that BCP has such an extensive selection of plants and seeds my overall conclusion was that, on this occasion, it was worthwhile paying what (in my opinion) were rather high postage and other additional charges.

Richard I hope this helps you in your deliberation.

Cheers

Gaz