Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daniel G

Drosophyllum In Britain

8 posts in this topic

Well, i unwittingly germinated on of these, and desperately need info, even after reading two or three books, more knowledge would be nice.

First of all, has anyone on these forums grown them in Britain, and with what methods? Can they be grown in a greenhouse? (Cold house conditions) Also, and decent tips would be nice.

Thanks,

Dan

I think James O'Neill is growing one in his green house as I've seen the pictures.

they are fairly common and easy to grow

cold house, yes no problem

they need a big pot of gritty compost, dont stand in water once mature, just water every week from above

treat it like a sundew until it is a couple of inches high, then treat it like a cactus!

Edited by gardenofeden
1 person likes this

Ok..... Got it in a peat pot at the moment, need to buy some perlite and pumice.

As long as it's young it's ok to repot. This will nearly always kill larger plants, they hate root disturbance!

If it's one of those peat pots I wouldn't remove the plant from it at all. Place that pot in the new mix and allow it to biodegrade. Avoids stress on the plant.

Keep it sheltered and aphid free too. Nice big pot, I use a clay pot. I wouldn't recommend root disturbance at all. For me at least, the hard part is keeping it alive as a seedling, it should be easier when its older.

If it's one of those peat pots I wouldn't remove the plant from it at all. Place that pot in the new mix and allow it to biodegrade. Avoids stress on the plant.

I was planning that :D

Thanks for the input everyone!