When should I see new growth in Drosera?

I am now seeing a good amount of new growth on my Sarracenia, Dionaea and Pinguicula. However, only a very few of my Drosera are sprouting new growth. Is this normal or have I kept them too wet over winter and they have simply rotted away? For example, D Slackii is just a mound of brown dead looking foliage, no new growth at all.

Hi,

What other's are you growing and where?

Don't have much experience with D. slackii myself, but I can tell you that in my experience (in an unheated greenhouse) rotundifolia & anglica wake up before Sarracenia, D. filiformis at about the same time and I'm just starting to see the first signs of life from binata (sprouting from the roots I believe, having been killed off by winter chill).

In my unheated greenhouse, here is my experience with those varieties...

D. slackii is only just starting to put on new growth - they didn't die back but stopped growing and rested over winter with some browning leaves.

D. binata is starting to take off, growing back from the healthy thick roots after the cold winter killed back the leaves.

D. capensis is in full growth now after dying back a bit to a resting crown.

D. aliciae is similar to slackii - resting over winter and now putting on new growth. Some flower stalks just starting to emerge on these too.

Hope that helps. Remember that slackii, capensis & aliciae come from south Africa and are not as adapted to cold winters as filiformis and some varieties of binata are.

Edited by Stu

In my unheated greenhouse, here is my experience with those varieties...

D. slackii is only just starting to put on new growth - they didn't die back but stopped growing and rested over winter with some browning leaves.

D. binata is starting to take off, growing back from the healthy thick roots after the cold winter killed back the leaves.

D. capensis is in full growth now after dying back a bit to a resting crown.

D. aliciae is similar to slackii - resting over winter and now putting on new growth. Some flower stalks just starting to emerge on these too.

Hope that helps. Remember that slackii, capensis & aliciae come from south Africa and are not as adapted to cold winters as filiformis and some varieties of binata are.