Heliamphora without terarium - possible?

Tarek

Hello,

I just wanna ask, or it`s possible to grow them on windowsill? I wanna hear from you experience, i read in Internet, that is impossible.

It's possible if you get the right plant. Some hybrids are a little more tolerant than species. I have a Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionassii growing on my kitchen windowsill, for which there is a thread here: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=35950

I also have Heliamphora minor growing on an open growshelf, under flourescent lights.

A word of caution though, don't expect to be able to put a plant that has been growing in high humidity straight onto a windowsill and for it to live. You need the right hybrid/species, preferably one that is already acclimatised to low humidity, or you will need to acclimatise it slowly yourself.

I know people who have done succesfully, so yeah, it can be done, but like Mobile said, certain hybrids are better, and good acclimatisation is needed.

I would assume that regular spraying could be helpful (Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :) )

if you can provide high humidity conditions (ie fog), cold night time drops (~5-10C) with temps rarely climbing over 27C, along with bright lit conditions (direct sunlight)-- theoretically it can be done...

actually, i know of a grower in San Francisco who grows his adult heliamphora outdoors. he grows them pretty well.

Thank You everybody for answers, recently I bought Heliamphora hetrodoxa x minor . I know that she grow in high humidity greenhouse , like I read from post here , i need spray it often for first time? To make good acclimatisation? Or i need some another way to acclimatisation ?

Acclimatisation is simply reducing the humidity slowly, over many weeks, until you eventually get down to room humidity. It's a very slow process that can't be rushed. There is also a certain level below which, no matter how much you acclimatise, the plant will not like.

They answered to me : About 70 - 80 percent . It`s high, very high. I check humidity in this room where i wanna put it tomorrow. Direct sun is not good for Heliamfora, yes? Need than put on kitchen probably. How to increase humidity in room where i wanna grow this nice plant? Be enough just spray it?

I be very happy if you answer in this many questions :)

It`s so hard :) everything can be more easy :D

They like as much light as possible and a long daylength. Short winter days will result in flared pitchers, so supplementary lighting is advised to avoid this. Spraying will do very little for the humidity in an open environment. You will need to provide a temporary terrarium, where you can gradually increase the ventilation, therefore reducing the humidity. This doesn't need to be anything fancy - I have used a cylindrical vase in the past (Asda), with clingfilm on the top. Humidity can then be slowly increased by adding holes into the clingfilm over many weeks. Best to avoid very strong direct sunlight while in vase, as it can magnify it and burn the pitchers. Tip: attach some string to the pot, so that you can pull it out of the vase. Alternatively you can put a plastic bag over the plant, adding holes over time, as with the vase method, to reduce humidity. You will probably need to add some support to the bag, as condensation will cause it to sag, this can be done using small plant support sticks.

Thank you very much for answers. Looks not so hard. Just buy vase, atach something in pot, to help me take out plants latter. Than put clingfilm (first time hear word like this) is this thing- http://mahawarplasticagency.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/LLDPE_Cling_Film.79213238_std.jpg ?

How than i can put water? Just water top of vase from inside and thats it?

Just take out this clingfilm? How much holes for first time, and how often add 1 extra?

If i use one of this covers - https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3lTe99hHvqE/T1zjyNZz7yI/AAAAAAAABYs/yEVrdopoKSo/s640/IMAG3232.jpg , just can buy from wilkinson bigger one?

Thank You

The dome propagator will be ok, if it's tall enough for the pitchers. Yes, the link that you added is cling film, also known as food wrap and available in all supermarkets.

Ok, than i put dome propagator, and just add new holes there, be more comfortable ;) . How often add holes?

Yes, it have, but it be not to big or to small humidity with him?

How i can know? :)

Edited by Tarek

I get message, plant has been send this morning , probably tomorrow i get it :) . What about that propagator cover? It`s be alright for acclimatisation ? How long i need to cover it and or i need make extra holes time at the time?

She in my home allready :)

Here some photos:

Just arrived

IMAG3460.jpg

In dome

IMAG3461.jpg

Dome ventilation

IMAG3462.jpg

Any comments? Advices?

Edited by Tarek