D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x ascendens

Hi all,

it´s no wonder after i was able to cross D. ascendens ("Bandeira Peak") with D. tomentosa var. tomentosa (´Morro Do Jambeiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil´) some time ago that the reciprocal crossing should work as well. I waited with showing pictures of that crossing until the plants have grown up to majority. So here are the resulting plants of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x ascendens.

In my eyes the plants look almost identical, the leaf shape, the hainess on the lower side of the leafes, the size of the plants and the hairness of the flower scapes seem to be almost the same. Only the colouration is a little bit different.

I wonder if the flowers will also look identical but it will take some time until the first flowers will open.

Here is the link to the plants i showed last year (D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa) where you can also see how the parents look like:

D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa

And here are the pictures of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x ascendens and for comparison i took also some pictures of D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa side by side to the new crossing.

P1230115a.jpg

P1230123a.jpg

P1230125a.jpg

P1230119a.jpg

P1230120a.jpg

P1230116a.jpg

on the left is the new crossing

P1230131a.jpg

P1230138a.jpg

P1230135a.jpg

and again alone

P1230231a.jpg

P1230230a.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Thanks.

It seems to be an easy grower, watering year-round by the tray method (permanetly about 1-2cm), artificial lights, the day temperatures in the moment are about 20-22 degree, at night about 12-15 degree. For sure the night temperatures will go down the next few weeks but last year they have continued growing without any problems. But they also don´t have any problems with high temperatures during summer.

They do not grow in a terrarium, they grow in open trays in my house.

Best regards,

Dani

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

a few days ago the first flowers opened and i was very surprised to see 4 open flowers at the same time, it looked really great.

The flowers are nearly 2cm in diameter and are as big as the flowers of the reciprocal crossing, in fact much bigger than the flowers of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa.

In the upper part the flower scapes are hairless.

P1240084a.jpg

P1240048a.jpg

P1240051a.jpg

P1240058a.jpg

And here the comparison between this crossing (D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x ascendens) and the reciprocal crossing (D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa), the flower at the left is the one of the reciprocal crossing, the others are these from above.

P1240068a.jpg

yesterday only one flower opened

P1240159a.jpg

P1240169aa.jpg

Interestingly both hybrids do have much longer flower scapes than each species itself has.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Again many thanks.

@Fernando, the flower scapes of D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x D. tomentosa var. glabrata (and the reciprocal crossing), D. ascendens x schwackei, D. tomentosa var. glabrata x D. graomogolensis and D. schwackei x tomentosa var. tomentosa are also much longer than in the parents.

Best regards,

Dani

I wonder why this hybrid vigor is so pronounced in flower scape length....??

I have not really an idea but it´s strange that all these hybrids do have longer flower scapes.

But perhaps these longer scapes are a method to increase the chance to be pollinated and thereby to be established.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

But perhaps these longer scapes are a method to increase the chance to be pollinated and thereby to be established.

Well, these hybrids are not selected for or else they would be the new species, the majority. ;) So the longer flower scapes must be a side effect of the hybridization, something gone goofy in the two genome metabolism.

F

• 6 months later...