rafflesia

Robert

rafflesia ( this was Tuan mudae ) just about 18inches in diameter. Though they are found in different location one of the National parks near kuching was the best site. The best time to see was when they bloom and fresh. By the 4th day they starts to wither.

2a75936c.jpg

5da32d82.jpg

33640b1a.jpg

866aa59b.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Andreas Eils

Too bad you can´t keep it as a house plant.... :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

It´s a beauty, of course. But it indulges in an immoral conduct. ;-)

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Eils

I love it!

Doesn't this really stink? Or am i thinking of something else?

people have been giving different view of the smell. It's not as bad as dead fish. It's

inbetween this and rotten fruit. The first 3 days it doesn't produce any smell but only

when it withers and rot.

Guest Andreas Eils

As far as I know Rafflesiae depend on certain lianae in which roots they parasite. I guess this must be very difficult to realise in cultivation. We all had a lot of fun when a young guy on the German CP forum wrote he´d like to grow a Rafflesia. :biggrin: However haven´t I read about a botanical garden on Java which has succeeded in cultivating a Rafflesia species together with its host?

Greetings

Andreas

I have read the news from Sabah and they have also successful cultivating it. But of course the successful rate was very high with the local conditions. It was done not in the lab.

http://www.reocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/3187/Rafflesia.html

As far as I know Rafflesiae depend on certain lianae in which roots they parasite. I guess this must be very difficult to realise in cultivation. We all had a lot of fun when a young guy on the German CP forum wrote he´d like to grow a Rafflesia. :biggrin: However haven´t I read about a botanical garden on Java which has succeeded in cultivating a Rafflesia species together with its host?

Greetings

Andreas

• 2 months later...

You need a kind of Tetrastigma to grow it on. Its of the same family as the grapevine, Vitis vinifera. Well if you live in a tropical climate and you can grow that vine it should be possible in theory to grow Rafflesia. Maybe even possible in a hothouse in colder areas. Something for a botanical garden to try.

Here in The Netherlands we can grow the parasite Lathraea clandistina easely on willows. Well Rafflesia should be more difficuld, but worth to try it.

Alexander