Sign in to follow this  
Zlatokrt

Something from my collection

Hello,

i had some time today so i took a few pics of my plants. Hope you will like them :smile:

I start with my Pinguicula stones:

the first lava rock with P. ibarrae, laueana, macrophylla and small crassifolia and mirandae

875ibarrae_macrophylla_la.jpg

the second lava rock with P. medusina, gigantea and emarginata

267moctezumae_gigantea_em.jpg

and the third lava rock, just for P. heterophylla itself

301P._heterophylla.jpg

I use also a piece of an old brick covered by moss, P. hemiepiphytica likes it:

634P._hemiepiphytica.jpg

And i have a "stone" made mostly from plaster of paris for small pings...

135small_pinguicula_speci.jpg

like P. immaculata.

837P._immaculata.jpg

Last ping: P. chuquisacensis/jarmilae, whatever you like. Chuquisacensis is cool, but jarmilae is much easier to write and speak :biggrin: I am still quite surprised, that this plant grows with no problems so far. It even produced 4 stolons which (i hope) will turn into the new plants.

292P._chuquisacensis_jarm.jpg

some stolons are even underground

588P._chuquisacensis_jarm.jpg

Last few plants:

H. pulchella "Akopan" - i love this plant, its slender pitchers are one of my favourite among helis.

986H._pulchella_Akopan.jpg

Drosophyllum is going to flower:

967Drosophyllum.jpg

And two young SA sundews - D. colombiana "Curilí, Colombia" and D. schwackei "Diamantina, MG, Brazil"

894D._colombiana_Curil_.jpg

921D._schwackei.jpg

Good growing

Adam

Wow! Your lava rock setups are fantastic! :good2:

I agree with Noah! The Pings see to work really well on them! Maybe I should have look around for some likely looking rocks! Is it literally sticking a couple of plants on top of the rock? or is some sort of substrate involved?

Thank you both! I am trying the lava rock for the first time this year and so far it looks very nice. I simply make holes by power drill and fill them with mexican ping mix (perlite, sand, crushed lava rock etc). I add some crushed limestone for calcium loving species. Some species like P. emarginata would probably grow also just on rock, but others like P. heterophylla or macrophylla wouldn`t have place for their bulbs.

Hi, ADAM!

I see that your sundews are looking pretty good! The way you are growing pinguicula species is so natural, looks really neat!

As I already said - you're always killing me! The stone growing for pinguiculas works wonderfull for me too. Plants on it are bigger then in soil. And your pretty sundews are very nice.

Well done! I think the stone look mimics their natural conditions better than soil media.

Great looking plants. The lava rock/brick arrangements makes a beautiful display!

Regards,

Christer

Exceptional plants, especially the Pings. How do you water them and keep the substrate damp during the growing period?

Greg

Excellent collection of Pings. So far I have only grown P.esseriana this way with good success. Have to try it with other species.

In my experience, P.jarmilae is a very easy grower. My plants also produce lots of those stolons that later grow into new rosettes.

Really fab Ping rocks. The problem I encounter is that they tend to fall off, especially once they have been on long enough to divide. Mind you, a lot of that is probably my carelessness; I am always having Pings jumping out of pots when I move them - often due to the old but strong flower stalks getting snagged.

It's very special and interesting the way your Pings are growing on these rocks. It looks very natural! Beautiful! (need to try it myself one day)

A small update: My P. immaculata is in flower. This is a very pleasant surprise for me. It is the first time this species blooms in my collection :smile:

444P1130277.jpg

371P1130287.jpg