Just made my own trough of terror! (pic)

Out of all the plants i bought from The Shop of little Horrors. I bought the trough of terror tub for only £2.50 (The small one)

Trough of Terror

I planted my Monkey Cups, Red Venus Fly trap and Butterwort into the trough of terror. I used peat and perlite mix. I am now going to be anxious for the next few weeks seeing how they will get on. They cost me £20 for them three plus the tub!!

27-06-11_1852.jpg

While I really would not want to dampen your enthusiasm, it is not really a good idea to plant Flytraps, Butterworts and Nepenthes in the same container. They each have different and specific cultural requirements.

I am sure that you would rather have your plants thrive, than just limp along.

The mix is OK for the Nep and Flytrap, but flytraps require full sun, a water tray and dormancy, while Nepenthes enjoy Bright but not full sun, intermittent watering, keeping soil damp, and stable temperatures year round.

The Butterwort will do better in a mix of mostly Vermiculite with just a little peat thrown in. Kept in bright but not direct sun position. Seasonal watering and light cues.

It is possible to create a Bog like the one you have done, but it would mean none of the plants would ever really be in ideal conditions.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Peter Hewitt

While I really would not want to dampen your enthusiasm, it is not really a good idea to plant Flytraps, Butterworts and Nepenthes in the same container. They each have different and specific cultural requirements.

The mix is OK for the Nep and Flytrap, but flytraps require full sun, a water tray and dormancy, while Nepenthes enjoy Bright but not full sun, intermittent watering, keeping soil damp, and stable temperatures year round.

The Butterwort will do better in a mix of mostly Vermiculite with just a little peat thrown in. Kept in bright but not direct sun position. Seasonal watering and light cues.

It is possible to create a Bog like the one you have done, but it would mean none of the plants would ever really be in ideal conditions.

Just my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree... Flytraps are from the states, neps from Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.

Just my opinion.

I'm afraid I agree... Flytraps are from the states, neps from Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.

Thanks for telling me all though a bit late now i should of posted before i done it.

Well the thing is i have no money at the moment and all i had was Peat and Perlite (which iv'e now used on on the trough of terror)

But i didn't have any pitcher plants (since mine are in quarantine because of whitefly (which has now been treated but damaged plant)

So i didn't really know what to put in them

Thanks for telling me

If I were you, I would ditch the Bog type bowl, and plant them individually in their own pots. Even small pots will do for the first while. You can just re-use the media in your current container. Take the mix and divide it in to three portions. For the Nepenthes, you can add some Bark to make it go further and for the Butterwort you can add some extra sand to make that go further. You will then be able to put the plants in to there individual light preference situation..

Edited by Peter Hewitt