G. uncinata flowering for the first time!

byblis

Hi all,

just wanted to share this foto of my plant´s first open flower:

guncinata3p.jpg

Seed originally came from Mucuge, Chapada, Diamantina in Brazil. This flower was the result of three years of growing this tall species of Genlisea with reasonable growing results, but none flowering. I didnot count the numerous flower stalks that were produced within the last three years and never showed a flower but I estimate about 10-15 stalks.

Pollen was also produced and I hand pollianted the flower today. Hopefully I will get some seed for an in vitro try.

Stefan

Hi Sebastian,

did you recognize the background plant just from the leave?? It is Braemia vittata, the Vanilla scented orchid I like very much growing in the forests of your country. I hope to see the flowers in 2005.

Stefan

Congratulations Stefan.

How large is the flower? It is very difficult to get an idea of the scale of the flower from the orchid leaf. Also, how tall is the inflorescence?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am indeed extremely happy to see you have grown this wonderful plant to maturity and managed to get it to flower! Good luck getting seeds, they should self easily. When pollinated, the pedicel bends downwards, so you'll know if you were successful.

I'd love to see more shots of your flower, especially the spur. I never did go back to the Mucuge area since I collected those seeds in 1995. It was sure a wonderful find, a day I'll never forget! Well worth the 5 hours of climbing (no trails) to reach the site!!!

For those of you who don't know, G.uncinata is one of the largest Genlisea species, with scapes reaching 80cm in height in the wild and over 1.20m in cultivation. The flowers themselves are not that big, only slightly larger than those of G.violacea. But the traps are HUGE! I've only seen equivalently large traps on G.guyanensis and G.sanariapoana.

Take Care,

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando and all,

some more details of the spur and the second opening flower. To keep loading time acceptable I was not able to use thumnails so I add the link to a larger version:

guncinata2pth.jpg

http://people.freenet.de/byblis/guncinata2p.jpg

That is the old flower again.

And here a fresh opening one:

guncinata3pth.jpg

http://people.freenet.de/byblis/guncinata3ap.jpg

Hope this helps!

Stefan

• 2 months later...

Hi all interested in G. uncinata

I obtained about 7 flowers and pollinated all of it with a fine marten hair brush resulting in 6 swelling seed capsules. Before capsules turned brown the flower stalk rotted just at substrate level. I cut it and put it into water on a white piece of paper. After some days the first two capsules turned brown, were harvested and I obtained some fertile looking seed. Sowed it the same day onto pure peat in a petri dish and got germination of about 10 plants so far. Wish me luck to keep the tiny seedlings alive!

Stefan

Hi Stefan!

Congrats once again! Nice flowers too. The 1st flower seems like it didn't really open all the way, but the 2nd one sure did. The curious thing is that the spurs are not uncinate (hooked)!! They're almost completely straight!!

I would be really confused if I hadn't collected these plants myself, hahaha! Isn't it ironic? The one character used to name the species doesn't even show up on plants grown from seeds collected at the type location in Mucuge! :):)

Take Care,

Fernando Rivadavia