tissue culture pictures:-)

dudo klasovity

Hi there! I have some new pictures from my minilab I would like to share with you. I hope you like them:-)

Pinguicula lusitanica setting flowers

DSCF0006-3.jpg

Pinguicula grandiflora seedlings

DSCF0009-5.jpg

Drosera burmannii 'Humpty Doo' with new flower stalk

DSCF0004-7.jpg

Drosera affinis (finally rooting:-)

DSCF0018-4.jpg

Drosera falconeri (it took me lots of killed plants to figure out how to prime this one with roots before deflasking)

DSCF0030-1.jpg

Drosera afra callus culture just replated to produce quazillion plants:-D

DSCF0012-4.jpg

Drosera arcturi 'Gelignite Creek, Tasmania' is for me a tricky plant in TC but I think I have tamed her now she started to propagate nicely:-)

DSCF0022-3.jpg

Drosera hilaris just replated on new tested media I have designed lately. Hope it will be much faster and will work for most species.

DSCF0034-1.jpg

Nepenthes albomarginata

DSCF0031-1.jpg

Nepenthes benstonei

DSCF0010-5.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dusan,

considering that it takes some years to grow D. afra from seeds to adult plants (at least for me), your TC propargation will help to get this and other rare species a bit more widespread into culture.

Are you also growing some tuberous drosera in vitro?

Thanks for sharing!

Dieter

@Pato: since the plants dont photosynthesize at all or only a little ( carbon in organic form is provided) , you dont need to follow the temperature pattern as that the plants require normally. Therefore the temperature range is very wide. You can stick them in the fridge if you need to slow down the uptake of nutrients. On the other end, temps over 28C are not recommended.

@Mati: D. hilaris was introduced via sterile seeds.

@Dieter: It took me about 2 months to grow d. afra to adulthood in vitro. She is a very fast grower, but not on regular substrate. The small plants grow very slowly on peat in my conditions as well. I see you are having the same experience. I havent had the pleasant opportunity to compare/share cultivation info on this species since it is so scarce. I also noticed that she is not a beginners plant and is very prone to fungal attack when sufficient air circulation is absent. I have lost several plants due to this. Another thing is, that she propagates enormously via leaves. Look at this picture of one dead plant. The new plantlets formed literally on every piece of tissue that touched the peat.

DSCF0005-3.jpg

I dont know whether she behaves always like that, or maybe it is caused by 'hormonal memory', since I have used cytokinine in last replating. Has it flowered for you, Dieter?

...and yes I have put some tuberous species in vitro, mostly erected species (peltata, moorei, menziesii). This is whata typical culture looks like:

DSCF0004-8.jpg

the good thing about scrambling species is that they dont need to be primed with roots or tubers prior the deflasking. I havent tried rosetted species yet, but I think they might require to be taken out in a form of tubers...also there is much more fuss about the successful germination.

Edited by dudo klasovity

I love when you post pics of your flasks! Those Drosera look amazing, the one in the last pic(the tuberous) is just astonishing! Do you sell the plants you deflask or just add them to your colection?

Hi Dusan,

I am in the office at the moment and therefore I can not see your pictures (many sites are blocked). Nevertheless, I hopefully have some answers for you.

So far, D. afra only reproduced in my hands from seeds (very slow to get them large) and from extra roots. I grew one plant into adulthood which started to flower last season. It already had produced a daughter plant last year. This year 4 plants appeared in the pot, two of those large enough to flower (which both still do). I gave away one of the smaller plants, but maybe I try to make same root cuttings in fall.

I did not try to make leaf cuttings and did not observe any accidental leave cuttings. So your observation may indeed be caused by some hormonal memory effect.

As far as the rosetted tuberous drosera seeds are concerned, I should have something for you to get started. My rosetted species are already through with the seed production, so that part of my seed list will not get larger this season. Feel free to send an email about this. In my experience at least some species are not too difficult to germinate (like D. browniana).

Cheers

Dieter

@Dieter: thank you for your insight. I found out yesterday, that the seeds i used for introduction of d.afra in TC I had ordered from you! :-) It was last June and I remember the seeds were just sitting on agar for months doing nothing. I had issues with my agar and medium pH at that time, so maybe that was why. When I replated them to new medium they commenced to germinate. I never tried to sow d. afra seeds on peat (I dont feel comfortable sowing precious seeds on regular substrate), so can you tell me how long it takes for you to germinate them?

About the tuberous drosera seeds- you have an email :-) I noticed drosera praefolia germinating on gelrite yesterday, which is a good news, will see how she grows. She is a beautiful plant.

@Cosmo: Thank you. I add the species I dont have to spread the diversity of my collection and species in abundance I swap or sell to finance the experiments. Due to lack of space (I live in an appartment building- no GH).

Edited by dudo klasovity

• 5 years later...