Sources for Aldrovanda?

Fernando Rivadavia

Hello everyone,

I live in California and wanted to try growing Aldrovanda in my aquarium. I've tried the Japanese form, without much success and would like to try other forms.

Does anyone know good cources from which I could buy Aldrovanda in the USA or abroad? Anyone willing to donate some? :)

Thanks,

Fernando

You can check out these links:

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com/aldro...da_for_sale.htm

A very large selection of localities, plus the cash goes to the Institute of Botany in Trebon. Its also got a good number of aquatic Utrics for sale and Dr Adamec can answer any questions you've got on Aldrovanda and its cultivation. The downside: its a little pricey.

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/index...id=1-aldrovanda

Here its only 15Euros for 10 plants with 5 localities to choose from, plus you can order other CPs to go along with them.

They are both in europe though, a fellow Aldrovanda grower in the USA might be a better option if you can find one.

Rich, believe it or not I still have a few plants alive, nearly 6 months later. But they are obviously not doing well. So as you suggested, I'm now thinking of trying in my aquarium Aldrovanda OTHER than the Japanese form. ;)

Jim, you have any contact info for Michael?

"ifurita", I'm gonna see if I can find some US sources 1st, but thanks!

Fernando

The temperate forms that are still alive for me haven't gone into dormancy as yet, but a whole year hasn't passed either. They have gotten longer and are still growing, though not as vigorously as the tropical/subtropical forms that I've got. Do note also that some of the temperate forms that I got died quickly, which may either be my fault or the plant not liking tropical conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
The temperate forms that are still alive for me haven't gone into dormancy as yet, but a whole year hasn't passed either. They have gotten longer and are still growing, though not as vigorously as the tropical/subtropical forms that I've got. Do note also that some of the temperate forms that I got died quickly, which may either be my fault or the plant not liking tropical conditions.

Interesting you grow temperate Aldrovandas in a tropical climate! Maybe they will grow on as they are not getting lower temperatures and lower lightlevels wich makes them to produce turions.

Are those Aldrovandas Asian strains or European?

Alexander