Darlingtonia Barrel Bog Overwintering

naryn

I planted out a barrel bog full of Darlingtonia this spring and was just wondering if i need to protect it over winter. The plants used did not come from the greenhouse but are usually kept outside in a sheltered position over winter. I cannot move the barrel now as it is too heavy so is it advisable wrap it in some insulation or is this unnecessary overkill for the Darlingtonia?

thanks

Andy

Andy, I have a similar situation. I planted my Darlingtonia directly in an inground bog with sarracenias, and Im not about to man handle that heavy ass bog into a "unheated garage".......Im just going to cover or mulch my three bogs(one is like yours, an oversized barrel) with 12 inches of hay and then cover with burlap...hopefully they make it if not Ill buy new ones next year....

DexFC

I had my Darlingtonia outside throughout last winter, and you know how cold and prolonged it was, without any cover at all and they all survived.

Dave

I have been told that this year is going to be a lot lot colder then last year,but we will see.

I have 2 barrel bogs with darlingtonia (amongst other stuff) in them. Last winter they were open to the elements with no protection at all and despite being frozen solid and covered in inches of snow for weeks they didn't seem to suffer in the slightest.

The VFTs have been a bit smaller this year and the S. Flava rubricorpa wasn't as red as it has been in past years when they were kept in an unheated greenhouse but the darlingtonias have done really well. They put up huge pitchers and have sent out more 'babies' than ever before.

• 2 months later...
I have 2 barrel bogs with darlingtonia (amongst other stuff) in them. Last winter they were open to the elements with no protection at all and despite being frozen solid and covered in inches of snow for weeks they didn't seem to suffer in the slightest.

that a comfort,im hoping to grow some darlingtonia outside all year round and,if they can be frozen solid then they'll be perfect for my climate :wacko:

If you've got a bog thats big enough it's generally harder to keep them alive through summer than it is through winter!!! :confused:

Steve

.... that seems a bit strange :lol: i was expecting the absolute opposite hehehe