Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loakesy

A Guide to Growing Carnivorous Plants

5 posts in this topic

I had a rather attractive publication drop on to my doormat yesterday: "A Guide to Growing Carnivorous Plants" printed by the CPS and completely unexpected. 70 pages covering all of the major genus of CPs.

I also got an original "Meat Eating Plants" printed in 1982.

Big, plesant, surprize! I thought the new magazine was going to be called "Planta Carnivora"?

I had a rather attractive publication drop on to my doormat yesterday: "A Guide to Growing Carnivorous Plants" printed by the CPS and completely unexpected. 70 pages covering all of the major genus of CPs.

Big, plesant, surprize! I thought the new magazine was going to be called "Planta Carnivora"?

Both a surprise to me as well.

Although if being totally honest - the growing guide does look good, but on a brief inspection has errors.

For Sarra's it mentions the disputed 'new' species - rosea under purp description.

But under rubra it says only 2 are considered by some to be sperate species - alabamensis and jonesii, but forgets to mention that wherryi is considered under that same classification to be a sub species of alabamensis.

Under Neps it says seed germinates in 6-8 weeks. Where as in reality it commonly takes upto 12 weeks even for fresh seeds to germinate and longer for oldish seed. Whilst once started, germination can continue for upto a year or more.

It also says there are aprox. 85 recognised species of Nep. But the actual figure is now aprox 120 (quite a difference).

To my mind the Nep section is a bit weak.

I haven't looked at the rest though.

Well done, Tim.

Don't worry too much about the mistakes... it comes of being human! :rolleyes:

Vic

The publication - A Guide to Growing Carnivorous Plants - which was sent to all CPS members, is not the new magazine, but is exactly what it says - A Growing Guide, which has been published by the Carnivorous Plant Society. Glad it was a pleasant surprise!

Another great growing guide can be found here.

It's freely available to all, from the ICPS.

Regards,

V2