CP Photo Finder new & improved

The Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has grown up!

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/

Thanks to the great drive, vision, and programming abilities of Jan Myszkier, the Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has a new functionality, look, and feel. The pages load much faster -- which those who have a dial-up connection should appreciate.

We would much like to hear about any improvements or changes that you might suggest. I have continued to simply provide links to photos rather than thumbnails, because I cannot afford a staff of lawyers to defend against copyright like Google, and, I do not want to offend any owner of photos -- who, after all, are lovers of CPs like all of us.

Edited by BobZ

Great job, Bob! Love the new look...it was time for something like this. Your site is a priceless resource for any CP grower. I used it many times and still do!

I know it's a ton of work but you might consider in the future to go through the drosera links...i remember seeing a few bad id's there in the past....very few.

Looks good to me Bob.

How about adding a section where people can send you there links to pictures ? I know you have an email address but a "suggest a link" button may help you get even more info.

Keep up the good work,

Joel

The Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has grown up!

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/

The old CP Photo Finder at http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

will continue to work, but I will cease maintaining those links. I will add a link on the old pages to the new site. Eventually, I will automatically redirect the old pages.

The Carnivorous Plant Society weblink to this great resource has been updated.

Thanks for all the hard work you put in! :wink:

V2

Alexis: seems webkit has problems rendering the long lines (check firefox or opera that does'nt use webkit).

I'm seeing that error on Konqueror too (which uses webkit ). There is a bug in webkit which i won't be able to fix, I may find a workaround for this (maybe). from the screen I assume you use Safari (which is webkit based aswell).

This bug will not be found in IE, FF and Opera though, as AFAIK they have different rendering engines.

Edited by janmyszkier

That's great Bob. I really like it.

The only small issue I can see is that long lines don't fit in the pale green area:

It's a wonderful resource and the new site looks even better. Thanks for the time you put into maintaining it Bob.

It validates okay, see HERE. It doesn't render correctly in IE6, the green border is not visible in the links section of the page. Renders the same in Google Chrome (WebKit rendering engine) as the screenshot above, i.e some links extend outside the central area into the green border with a screen resolution of 1024*768px.

Edited by mobile

Great work you both. Thanks a lot for improving this valuable resource and making it much more friendly and pleasant to navigate.

I will update the link from my website soon.

a fix was applied to the page, safari users shouldn't have problems with rendering species and hybrids listing, however main links (the ones at the top may be too long and need changes). also on 1024x768.

Also whoever uses IE6, this browser got 2 major updates in the meantime, current version is 8. I highly encourage to update whoever uses version 6. Some pages don't even work properly with IE 6 anymore. do NOT use IE 6 or even IE 7. update to IE 8 or change it to other browser of your choice that is up-to-date.

Thank you all for your support! Really, it helps a lot.

Edited by janmyszkier

a fix was applied to the page, safari users shouldn't have problems with rendering species and hybrids listing, however main links (the ones at the top may be too long and need changes). also on 1024x768.

Also whoever uses IE6, this browser got 2 major updates in the meantime, current version is 8. I highly encourage to update whoever uses version 6. Some pages don't even work properly with IE 6 anymore. do NOT use IE 6 or even IE 7. update to IE 8 or change it to other browser of your choice that is up-to-date.

Thank you all for your support! Really, it helps a lot.

The company I work for, which is a large company with thousands of computers still used IE6, so that's where I was viewing the site earlier. I also have access to a portable version of Google Chrome at work. At home I use Ubuntu and have Firefox, Opera and Chromium (alpha), all of which now render the page correctly so thanks for the update.

Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Bob and Jan!

FINALLY the CP photofinder has got an improved design and become much clearlier arranged! :P Congratulations!

Andreas

• 5 months later...

Thanks to the wizardry of Jan Myszkier we are now experimenting with a mouse-over preview of jpg links in the CP Photo Finder. In this way, you can get a preview of the photo without having to click on the link. Simply move the mouse cursor over a link and a preview thumbnail will appear. So far, while testing, we have added this feature to some, but not all jpg links.

For example, try

http://www.cpphotofinder.com/byblis-aquatica-23.html

We have tested the feature with Firefox, IE, and Safari. We would be interested if this works for all browsers and versions. If you have a problem or comment, let me know.

You will still have to click on links to html, php, pdf, and directories.

Hi Bob,

Nice feature. I can confirm that it works with Linux Chromium 4.0.226.0 (Ubuntu build 30050) and Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091028 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.4

Edited by mobile