A visit to Darlingtonia country

Hi all,

this is the 3rd and final part of my trip report. This time I will introduce you to one or two very similar locations near O'Brien in southern Oregon. The plants can be found along a dirt road. On one side of the road the area has some slope, the other side is quite flat. As it seems, a part of the vegatation gets cleared away to protect the power lines.

The area was quite dry with the exception of a few creeks allthough not much water was flowing there this time.

This is the first site:

11zj0.th.jpg

A view uphill...

12mv6.th.jpg

... and downhill:

13rs6.th.jpg 14vm7.th.jpg

As stated above, the soil seemed to be bone dry outside of the creeks and the Darlingtonia make it quite easy to guess where the creek may be. However, there must be times when the creeks contain much more water. I remember a visit in spring when all pitchers and grasses were bent down in downhill direction. The debris among them made it clear that the plants were pushed down by huge amounts of water.

15tn7.th.jpg 16wy4.th.jpg 17vu7.th.jpg 18xt1.th.jpg

On the other side of the road the plants grow much denser. There actually is no longer water visible, it seems to disappear mostly underground.

110zb7.th.jpg 19ah7.th.jpg 111bl7.th.jpg 112wk1.th.jpg 113md1.th.jpg

The second location is a little further down the road. The creek uphill seemed to be completely dry here (allthough some Darlingtonia were doing well), but there was some water trickling not too far from it. You can see the wetter parts on the first location shot. On the downhill side a larger creek is running, but I did not find any CPs.

21db1.th.jpg 22jj2.th.jpg

Larger numbers of Darlingtonia plants were growing in the woods, allthough not as many as on the first site.

24wz8.th.jpg 25we9.th.jpg 26sx9.th.jpg

23yx0.th.jpg 27sp6.th.jpg 28rh9.th.jpg 29eq5.th.jpg

Finally, one very unpleasant find was a hole which in my imagination shows that some person dug out one or more plants here. This just reminds that I found some Darlingtonia seed offers from someone living in Oregon on ebay a while ago (several offers with 1000 seeds and the like).

2holejf1.th.jpg

I hope you like the report!

Cheers

Dieter

R-U 'Using' The WC-DC58A Wide-Angle-Converter for Some-of-Those-Shots in Part-III!!!???

If-'So' ... I'll Just-Have to Go-out & Buy-'Me'-self One, I-Guess! >(*U^)<

R-U 'Using' The WC-DC58A Wide-Angle-Converter for Some-of-Those-Shots in Part-III!!!???

If-'So' ... I'll Just-Have to Go-out & Buy-'Me'-self One, I-Guess! >(*U^)<

No, the only converter I have and use is a MSN-202 macro lens which I used, for instance, for my avatar shot and many other flower shots I showed earlier this year. It is relatively cheap and really good. The next think I may get hold of could be a tele converter, but then, I am quite happy with the camera as it is now. So this may never happen.

@ Daniel: I actually just had one spare day for the Darlingtonia visits. The rest was driving and a short visit to Lassen National Park for which I also only had half a day. Quite impressive! Here is a shot of a boiling mud hole:

schlammlochzh4.th.jpg

Cheers

Dieter

Another very interesting reading, Dieter, though with a little sad ending this time.

While collecting seed normally isn't that bad as digging out plants - "1000 seed"-offers :confused: is past it.

Thanks for the nice pictures

Martin

R-Yes ... Flaring-Cobras-&-Boiling-Mud-Springs ... Two-Areas 'Where' The-Tele-Macro 'Not'-Only Excels but-is Definitely-"Required" If-Not R Necessity!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< According to Donald-E-Schnell on One-of-His Spoken-Word-Cassettes to-Me in The Late-Eighties / Early-Nineties The-Former Reason Was 'Why' The Tele-Macro Was Invented & 'Now' They Sell Many to Vulcanologists & New-Zealanders!!! >(*U^)<

IMG_4814JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

As-to Macrophotography with The CANON: "S5 IS" I've-Found Sticking-the-Camera on Av-Mode Setting-the-Aperture to F8 and Then Pressing The Super-Macro-Button on the Left-Hand-Side of The-Lens-Turret Basically Does-away with The 'Need' for Close-up Lenses or Even 'Bellow'!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)< You Can Even 'Stop'-Down in This Mode Using The [+/-] Button. The 'Only'-Catch Though Has-Been to Learn-R-New-Way to 'Brace'-the-Camera Against My Old 'Large' Tri-pod Placed on-its-Side!!!

IMG_4812JPG-35-RESIZED.jpg

You-Can Also Place-The-Camera on 2-Second Self-Timer and Brace Really-'Hard' &-With "MITTENs" on Your Hands to Dampen Stray-Vibrations ie from Trucks & Cars if-You're 'On'-R-Roadside-Verge etc..

As-You-Can 'See' from The Above I'm 'Still'-Perfecting The-'Brace'!!! >(*U^)<