Sign in to follow this  
Big Pitcher

Highland nepenthes temperature

Hi all

Many of my small nepenthes (eg diata,ephiippiata,spectabalis) are in an indoor terrarium under a couple of grow lights. The terrarium has a humidifier so humidity is usually a constant 80-90% during the day. The night temperature gets down to 60 degrees C (15 dgrees F).

I've been away this weekend and noticed the day temperature got to around 85 degrees C( 30 degrees F). I'm thinking this is too high for a highland nepenthes but wondered if anyone has been successfull growing them in temperatures between 85-90 degrees C?

I've also noticed some of the plants have formed pictures with very small or no lids (just a black stump!). On top of this my N.rajah keeps growing fairly large leaves which are slightly thinner at the sides so they tend to wither and brown but only at the sides...

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with their plants and have some advice to solve this issue?

Cheers

Alex

Most of my highland neps reach a high of just over 30 degrees C during the day with no problems so I doubt temperature is your problem, I expect the temperature to rise a bit more too if summer ever arrives!

Are these new plants or established ones??

Heather

I agree with Heather that the 30C shouldn't be a problem, in sunny weather mine can reach 40c during the day time, but luckily we don't get that kind of weather long term. The blackened tips is harder to diagnose but when i get that problem its often associated with not enough light, although i usually get it towards the end of the winter/early spring. Just possibly the plants are actually too humid as if its ~90% daytime, it will be 100% as they cool down at night. Most highlanders get lower humidity daytime ~70%, then get the 90% at night. Some people install a small fan to create some air movement in the terrarium, i don't take that approach but i dont have a humidifier in there either.

Hi again- Thanks for the advice. Most of the nepenthes were purchased just under a year ago however they are still fairly young, i'm sure/hope they will adapt soon!

cheers

Alex

Hi Bigpitcher:

I would tend to review the lighting set up for your terrarium. It'd be helpful if you have 2 X 36Watts cool white fluorescent bulbs to help with growth.

Anything less and you may encounter problems with plant growth and pitcher production.

Gus

Edited by agustin franco

Right- Finally decided to invest in an envirolite 125Watt 6400K blue. I've read some good feedback this forum discussing this light!

If you have one are you still happy with it?

Cheers

Alex

I have one and yep, still happy with with it!! They should last for about 10,000 hours i think.