What do you do in real life???

fly

Ok, to go with 'what do you look like' and 'where do you live' I thought it would be interesting to find out what some of you guys do for a living! Considering the sizes of some of your collections, I am often left wondering if you are full time CP growers, or if you have time to squeeze in another job/career elsewhere! :shock: Considering the number of forum members and the diversity of countries represented, there must be some pretty interesting job choices out there...

Ok, guess I'll get the ball rolling... after college, my first full time job was as a zoo keeper in Regent's Park. I followed that by a stint as a vet nurse, and ended up as a research scientist studying fly gonads.

Anyone else

:D

I work at Turner Broadcasting who are a cable & satellite channel. You would probably know them better as CNN, Cartoon Network & New line Cinema.

I work as a Purchasing & Logistics Co-Ordinator and have been in the job for about 9 years. Do all kinds of stuff from sorting out mobile phones, photocopiers & fax machines etc to shipping.

I had to ship some double sidded tape to New Zealand last year to fix Gollums outfit. Glad to do my bit for LOTR's :shock:

There's nothing wrong with making a living by studying Dipteran reproductive structures. When I was working (I'm an insect ecologist), I spent a year studying mosquito population ecology for the University of Oregon and spent a fair proportion of my time dissecting ovarioles and spermathecas, its a tough job but someone has to do it. I also got paid for pulling the wings off flies, every naughty boys dream job!

I gave up my career as an insect ecologist to raise my kids and look after the home. This consequently leaves me a lot more time to devote to my plants and other things. Its still quite hard work though as my wife spends about a third of the working week abroad, so its often a 24 hour job, especially if one of the kids gets ill. I'm steadily redecorating/renovating my house too, last year this included; laying new laminate floors, painting the exterior house (not just the window-frames it has white walls like George Bush's :)).

Vic

I'm a Quarantine Officer for the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service. This is basically the same as a Customs Officer except we are interested in food, animals and plants rather than drugs, weapons and dutiable items. At the moment I am a supervisor in charge of operations at the Melbourne International Airmail Transit Centre. I'm also on the panel of National X-ray trainers throughout Australia.

Basically what this means is that I am one of the guys who looks for seeds or plants of any of the CPs that people try to get into the country by airmail. I have the privilege of opening up peoples mail parcels to sift through looking for anything interesting. Occasionally I have the fortune of inspecting packages addressed to myself.

Before this I was located at the Melbourne International Airport with the pleasurable task of pulling people aside to go through their suitcases.

So next time you visit Australia or send a mail parcel down under just beware, it could be me who checks you bags or looks thorugh your mail.

Sean.

Sean, that sounds like a nice way to increase your CP collection :shock:

Me, I dig ditches, cut down trees and fiddle with electrical wiring. Not much rain here, so everyone has automatic sprinkler systems. I'm increasing my bee hives, as here in California we were short about 400,000 hives for pollenization last year, so the prices are good (finally).

Here's a big lawn we put in for someone.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22864707

Tim,

I do actually see CP seed coming through the post every so often. More often than not it is my own though.

Awhile ago I found some VFTs packed in film canisters. Unluckily these were thrown straight into the bin for deep burial.

I get the bonus of seeing what Allen Lowrie will be adding to his massive seed list when his donators send their seed to him.

Unfortunately though, I am unable to increase my collection this way. Too many damn cameras watching me all the time! :)

Sean.

I am a college student Studing for my advanced national certificate in Amenity and Decorative Horticulture. ie doing stuff with plants :shock: .

At the weekend i work for Wyevale garden center in the plantarea and on tills

dan

ps. sry int posted in a while been bit busy.

I'm a student at Sula Ungdoms skule, next year I hopefully be in Fagerlia vidergående skule for studying art and color then year after horticulture decoration tingy... I think ( hmm... doesn't make sence ehh :mrgreen: )

oh, right now I'm going to "work" at my school cafeteria/libary for the next 2 weeks.

regards Bjørn

Im a Traffic Management Forman.

I.E A contractor tells the company where on the motorway they want to get to, myself and a crew of 2 others close it all down until all the work is conplete then open the road back up,easy on small roads,a nightmare when your closing three lanes of the M25 down with off and on slips aswell.

Bye Julian :shock:

I am a college student Studing for my advanced national certificate ...

Wow GizmO. You must have a great time Studing! Does it pay well?

My job is working on the relationship between logging, landslides, and sediment in forested watersheds.

I don't often tell people this, but I'm a Fingerprint Expert and Crime Scene Examiner. :shock:

I'm currently working in the Fingerprint Bureau in New Scotland Yard, but waiting to hear about a promotion that will see me posted to a local police station where I can get back to my passion of carrying out forensic examinations of all types of crime scenes!

:stabbing:

• Like 1

Guest VFT guy in SJ

I am a custom cabintemaker. I build all the really fancy wood entertainment centers, home offices, and custom kitchens and bathrooms. Hoping in the next year or 2 to open my own shop and be my own boss for a change :shock:

Cheers

Steve

I work as a technical-buyer in a french society that imagine and build waste water traitment plants and drinking water traitment plants.

We built for exemple the waste water traitment plant of Glasgow, the drinking plant of Bray and few others in england.

It is a new job since 2004 hence my little silence here. I used to work before in the same society as a water process-ingeneer in our technical department.

Fantastic! What a range of interesting and diverse disciplines! Vic, does that mean I can pick your brains on germ cell protocols :D ?

Bobble - do you make Scottish tartan to order or is it just certain clans ? (thinking of a nice pair of 'trews' sp? for my Dad for next Xmas!!! :shock: )

And Aidan, all I can say is - they require 20:20 vision :D

Fly,

I know very little about insects at a cellular level, I can dissect a female mosquito and tell you if its mated (sperm in its spermatheca (sperm storage organ) or not and how many eggs its likely to be able to lay though.

I agree, there are a lot of interesting occupations being listed, I hope some more members join in.

Vic

Hi, all

Well by reading what some of you people do, I almost fell like the 'bottom of the pile'.

Im a Garden Centre Dept. Manager, although on Monday 9th Feb. I have an interview for a Planteria Manager position in Cowbridge (between Bridgend and Cardiff, Wales).

So hopefully no more stupid questions about livingroom lighting, and kitchenware :shock::D

I mean c'mon who goes into a garden centre to ask about livingroom furniture.!!!!

I am also the Web-Master, and propagationist for PJ-Plants (in my spare time).

:wavey:

Langy