Anchoring a greenhouse

Hi

What in your opinion is the best way to anchor a 6x8 aluminium greenhouse to paving slabs. I do have M6 coach screws with 10mm rawplugs but I am worried they may split the slab. What has anyone else used to good effect? It can get pretty windy up here and I dont want to lose my greenhouse/collection.

No More Nails has seen me right so far! I applied it to the underside of the frame, attaching it to the paving slabs, although this can only be done before putting the glass in.

To be honest though, the weight of the glass is the main anchor for a greenhouse. The wind removing the glass is what tends to wreck greenhouses.

Using rawlbolts is the right idea,but paving slabs isn't.

Slabs have the advantage of allowing for drainage through the gaps between them so you don't get puddles. To anchor to slabs I'd use quite a few smaller screws, say 10 x No.10 x 2" and suitable large plastic rawplugs.

Edited by mobile

if slabs are all you've got they will be o.k.Just drill them using a small masonary bit for a pilot hole,then use a larger masonary bit and redrill the hole.

A 7 mm bit is o.k for brown masonary plugs.try not to drill too near to the edge of the slabs and dont over tighten the screws,this will avoid cracking the slabs.

If you want to screw it down a cheaper way would be to use brass round head screws with brass washers they won't rust . If you use that hard as nails outdoor the question is how long is it going to last nobody knows I don't think it will last much more than ten years ? .

A 7 mm bit is o.k for brown masonary plugs.try not to drill too near to the edge of the slabs and dont over tighten the screws,this will avoid cracking the slabs.

...and a 7mm masonary bit with brown rawlplugs is ideal for No.10 screws as this is the minimum size of screw they accept so won't expand them too much, thus reducing the risk of splitting the slab :wink:

Edited by mobile

Mobile,you know that and i know that.But not every one does as you can tell when you go round to look a various jobs.Some people just have no idea at all.

I was just try to help from a long way away,your alot nearer why dont you pop round and lend an experts hand?

Mobile,you know that and i know that.But not every one does as you can tell when you go round to look a various jobs.Some people just have no idea at all.

I was just try to help from a long way away,your alot nearer why dont you pop round and lend an experts hand?

No exactly round the corner... Dode lives approx 125 miles from me!

Hi

What in your opinion is the best way to anchor a 6x8 aluminium greenhouse to paving slabs. I do have M6 coach screws with 10mm rawplugs but I am worried they may split the slab. What has anyone else used to good effect? It can get pretty windy up here and I dont want to lose my greenhouse/collection.

I made last year an instruction how to assemble a greenhouse, bolting it to slabs is also explained, may be it wil inspire you.

www.carnivorousplants.nl Click than on "information"; click then on "constructing a greenhouse.

Goodluck!

There is no need to use screws & plugs these days-use "hammerfix screws". Once you've positioned your base-frame there is no need to remove it in order to drill e.g if the holes in the frame are 8mm choose Hammerfix with a 7mm plastic shank, you then use a 7mm masonry bit and drill carefully through the holes into the slab, when using Hammerfix it doesn't matter if you go too deep,in fact go a little deeper. Clear the hole of dust and place in the Hammerfix GENTLEY tap down with a hammer and then screw down snug with the screwdriver-easy, you'll be amazed at how the Hammerfix's bite tight. I used to be a joiner and have used them hundreds of times, they're one of those things that should have been invented fifty years ago.

Here's a Hammerfix:-

HammerFixings40mm_L.jpg

Edited by petesredtraps

Dont know if this helps but ive just finished building a greenhouse.It came with many L shaped pieces of metal which had a hole in each side.One side was bolted to a down strutt of the greenhouse and the other was screwed into the floor.I had to go round and fix these to each down strutt...around 30 in total.The screw depth and size,surprisingly, wasnt particularly large.2 inch screws will do.As i understood it the corner fixings are the most important.

Gary

Errrrrrrrr that hammerfix looks a lot like a plug with a screw in it to me. :yes:

That's basically exactly what it is Fred, but you have to use them to appreciate them.No more messing around with seperate rawl plugs & screws. You see ,when you use the hammer to drive them in,as you are doing so the screw winds itself into the plug, you just then finish them off with a couple of turns with the screwdriver,and by heck do they get hold.Just try them,you'll not faff around with seperate plugs & screws again. I used to hate endless turning with the screwdriver when hanging doors etc,all I got from it were forearms like Popeye.