Move When?

stozy

Hi in october i moved my S.flava and D.capensis outside for dormancy.

The capensis has died back fully and the flava is fully dormant. I would like to bring them back inside for the growing season as i am kinda doing a test on the dormancy out or in to see if it makes a difference :roll:. so i was wondering when it would be fine to move them back inside to a window sill.

It will not be much warmer as the room has the window open lots etc....

so anyway when should i do it? should i wait untill they start to grow or should i do it around the beginning of feb ?

ps, hope this aint a totally stupid question....

It doesn't need a dormancy, but I think it looks better with fresh new growth every spring coming back from the roots personally.

I wouldn't bring the flava inside though. It will try to grow with the increased temperature but end up growing floppy pitchers because of the low light.

It doesn't need a dormancy, but I think it looks better with fresh new growth every spring coming back from the roots personally.

A pair of scissors can help :roll:

Edited by FredG

becuase it was long and very ugly...and i was told that was a good idea on this forum.

You will be told many things on this forum.

You don't have to accept them all as being good advice.

Look upon it as panning for gold.

You have to sift a lot of rubbish to get a few useful grains.

Stozy,

Firstly I normally wouldn't leave any of my Flava's (or any other Sarracenia, apart from venosa) out in the Winter.

I've done it before and whilst the plants don't appear to suffer much, it means their season is considerably shortened (coz it takes them longer to wake up), leading to them over 3-5 years, a lot worse off than their 'grown in the greenhouse' bretheren. I've also found that those exposed to extremes, don't flower as well, sometimes not dropping pollen at all.

Also the weather this year has (IMHO) been a damm site milder than it normally is. All you need is a prolonged freeze (with wind) and the weather will freeze -dry your plant (and Winter ain't over yet not by a long chalk).

If you do bring the plant in shortly, then it will grow, but even in full light the growth will be weaker and it won't put up with you putting the plant out later in the year (unless you tie up the pitchers). If you leave it outside then the pitcher growth will be stronger (and shorter) and later, with possibly no seed production.

They are your choices- its up to you what you want to do!!!

Regards

Stozy, if you have a shed with a window or a sheltered spot that will be better than bringing the plants indoors. The cape will do well indoors, but I always leave mine in the greenhouse to die back for the winter, they always return from the roots so I don't worry about them. I have too many other plants taking up windowsill space to bring in plants that will survive quite adequately in the greenhouse, even if it isn't the way they would naturally grow in the wild.

ye....well 2 reasons that it was not there.....there was no space and i wanted to give it a good hard winter cos it has not been a very good plant for me inside :happy:

but if i moved it there now do u think it would notice and start growing weakly?

Put the plant in the greenhouse and leave it there. As Fred notes, it is the best place. Being closer to the Arctic :happy: than most of us, your plants will have a short growing season anyway.

i have done the same as the last like 3 - 4 years and every year my plants are getting better and bigger :) cant be too bad ? :D

if they stop growing over winter is that enough? or do u like them to be frozen or just cold ? :P my room didnt have heating for the first half of winter lol and the window is open all day :yes:

Play nice everyone :D

We newbies all ask questions that some of the more experienced growers will see as sheer common sense. Thats life but spare a thought for us, we always appreciate the help and know you guys must get sick of it but we all have to start somewhere and asking on this forum is the best way to learn.

Stozy - for what its worth I think the only thing you really need to know is that you're best option is to move the plants you have mentioned to the greenhouse. Clear some room and leave them there for the winter, temps will be cold enough there and plants will resume growth when they're good and ready (and when the weather is a bit warmer!!).

Heather

.....please stop looking to big faults with me......

I am not, you're doing a fine job of that yourself.

I must ask you one more question though.

Is English your first language?

Stozy,

The greenhouse is the best place. I am sure if you squeeze all your plants up a bit you can fit a couple more in, it always amazes me where I find space, but where there's a will there's a way.

Your capensis will be fine indoors anyway, it doesn't need to have a dormancy, in fact as has been pointed out earlier it isn't natural for them, but being almost bombproof, it doesn't do them any real harm either. Your Sarras do need a dormancy. If they have stopped growing and last years pitchers are slowly dieing back then it has probably been cold enough for them. They don't need to freeze, they just need to be below about 6C to sleep well.

The greenhouse is better for them not only because it gives them the best chance of the correct temperatures, but the light available to the plants is greater than on a windowsill so the pitchers will be stronger and sturdier than if they are stretching to get adequate light and also more colourful when they do grow. In your position if there really is no space in the greenhouse, I would be looking to evict something less important to make room.