Some Tropics In Siberia

Hi all,

I live in the Russia, in the middle Siberia. I grow carnivorous plants about 5 years. I have bought first my plant in Singapore 6 years ago, it has lived only 3 months, unfortunately. Then I tried to buy a fly-trap at Trev from Ireland, through the Internet, but he has not sold to me a plants. A year later I nevertheless have got 3 venus flytraps, 1 sarracenia plant and 1 nepenthes in Holland, since then plants at me have started to grow and educe very fruitfully. In February, 2007 I have decided to grow carnivorous plants and orchids in the one florarium, having united a terrarium and an orchidarium. I call it the orchiterrarium.

I wish to tell about my orchiterrarium. I am sorry for my bad English.

Construction. My orchiterrarium is made of a glass trading show-window. It dimensions is 80cm length x 50cm width x 130cm height. It is divided inside into 2 tight parts that the distilled water carnivorous plants did not blend whith the fertilised water for orchids. In a bottom of a terrarium two foramens for plum of waters. Orcid's part is had vertically, and occupies a back side of a orchiterrarium, the carnivorous part occupies the inferior horizontal part of a terrarium. They are divided among themselves by the glass septums glued by silicone.

Substrate. In a terrarium-part I use only pure longfiber peatmoss, a layer depth 15 cm. 5 years all my carnivorous plants fine grow in a pure peatmoss, the minus of a peatmoss is necessity to change it every year. In a orchidarium-part a substrate is the mix of a pine bark, charcoal and it is not enough moss.

Light. Osram L 36W/765 - 3 lamps (827), Comtech Fl 26 36/840 G 13 - 3 lamps (840) and Osram fluora 77 - 2 lamps. Lamps are had in two fixtures on 4 lamps, and locate from two sides of a terrarium, vertically. On terrarium top locate the third fixture containing of 7 - T4 28W lamps: 4 lamps a cold white light (840) and 3 lamps of a warm white lite (827). This is light enough for very well growing of Vandas. The pitcher of carnivorous plant is red inside.

Watering. I watering carnivorous plants with a distilled water, which I do by "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifier", water turns out good and already almost year of a plant grow on it well. I watering orchids with ordinary water, fertilizings. The ultrasonic humidifier is connected to an orchiterrarium through a hose. Humidity is sustained in him from 50 % in the afternoon, to 70 % at night. I have computer cooler 12 cm in diameter for an air circulacion iside.

Light, ultrasonic humidifier, cooler are power up or down by a timer.

Dormancy. I tried to create all pathes conditions for a dormancy of carnivorous plants, illumination decrease (it is easy for making) and a cold. To lower temperature in a terrarium, even after connection of a refrigerator it was not possible to me. Therefore I have simply moved all carnivorous plants requiring a dormancy to the tight plastic big container and have placed for 3 months in a refrigerator. After 1 month of hibernation in refrigerator they condition is very nice.

Some about my plants: a lot of Dionaea muscipula, many Sarracenias purpurea, 2 Nepenthes (alata, ventrata), my new little cefalotus and heliamphora. Orchids: phalaenopsis, cattleya, chiloschista, ascocenda, vanda, colmonara, lealia, tolumnia, sophrontis, schoenorhis, howeara, denrobium, paphiopedilium... all 30 species (mainly miniature species).

Edited by Akhenaten

Welcome to the forum, your orchiterrarium sounds really interesting, i too would love to see a photo. Do you keep any utricularia, last year i was on a train heading north east from moscow and saw many Yellow flowers in the swamps by the the side of the railway, unfortunately i couldn't stop the train!

Edited by manders

to Stefano

In the street of Siberia really is very cold, now -30 Celsius degrees, but in houses warmly, in my home is +28 degrees of Celsius.

I don't grow carnivorous plants and orchids in the street, but I grow it in home, in a terrarium :) . But in the Canada there are some people who grow (-20 Celsius degrees in winter) carnivorous plant in the street the whole year very successfully, please look this forum in Bog Gardens.

to manders

Thank you for invite. Yes in Russia grow some carnivorous plant - Urticularia vulgaris, Drosera rotundofolia, Pinguicula vulgaris. I have not any one of them, because they are do not sell in shop, and I don't walk in Taiga :).

There are some photos of ochiterrarium in it general view:

this is original made by my drawing trade show-window

QnZS_2.jpg

Orchiterrarium in full light, but still whithout third fixture

orchiterr.jpg

Orchiterrarium is 3 month later.The collection of orchids become to increase

05_07_07.jpg

It is terrarium's part of orchiterrarium after 7 month of start

8.jpg

My orchids part in 26 december of 2007 year, my carnivorous plant in dormancy

in_dorman.jpg

Edited by Akhenaten

Some my orchids

The most grateful plant Ascocenda Princess Mikasa Blue

AscaPrinMikas.jpg

The most undemanding orchid Colmonara Burrageara Stefan Isler

Burrageara.jpg

Very fragrant orchid Brassiolaeliocattlea Moscombe x Waikiki Sunset "Fragrance"

Blc_Moscombe_x_Waikiki_Sunset_Fragrance.jpg

Mini denribium Muang Thai

Den_Muang_Thai.jpg

The strangest orchid Miltassia Shelob 'Tolkien'

miltassia_shelob.jpg

Incessantly blossoming orchid Howeara Lava Burst

HowearaLavaBurst.jpg

Edited by Akhenaten

Guest Andreas Eils
In the street of Siberia really is very cold, now -30 Celsius degrees, but in houses warmly, in my home is +28 degrees of Celsius.

What? -30°C outside and +28°C inside? Are you living just above a little volcano?? :happy:

I have not any one of them, because they are do not sell in shop, and I don't walk in Taiga :).

Why not? Are you afraid of Siberian tigers...

....or bears? :yes:

Welcome to the forum by the way! Really amazing where allover the world CP´s are grown! :yes: Beautiful orchids you have!

Kind regards,

Andreas

Thanks gardenofeden, name of this strange orchid hybrid is Miltassia Shelob 'Tolkien' AM / AOS #16927. But it looks as an unearthly plant.

Thanks Andreas Eils. No, here isn't no volcano, but here is many oil and gas, and this helps to suvive in Siberia. Certainly I am afraid of bears, and I don't know were in forests carnivorous plant grow, our woods are immense. Best regargs :biggrin: .

Thank you Phil Green.

Edited by Akhenaten

I have Darlingtonia californica, it is not so good, because of long road, California very far from Siberia :lol: . I wish to grow it in a my orchiterrarium. I have much read that good aeration and cooling of roots is necessary to it. The substratum in my orchiterrarium does not heat up from lamps, I can put much of perlite around roots. The maximum temperature in a orchiterrarium in the summer +32 in the top part +26 in the bottom part, in the winter +26 and +19 accordingly Can Darlingtonia californica grow in a terrarium without constantly proceeding water and without ice?

The new beautiful sprout of this plant was lost, I so think because of ice. But other part of a plant is not changed. The plant is now, I think, in dormancy on a window sill, at temperature nearby +7 - +12.

1_Darlingtonia.jpg

• 1 month later...

There has come time for awakening from hibernation of carnivorous. They wintered at me in a refrigerator in containers at temperature from 0C to +4C. This year landed them not dividing, many bulbuses had new backs so alighting was timely. They wintered at me from 01.12.07 till 23.02.08

Now plants look perfectly as they will behave further, I do not know, time will show.

Plants in hibernation

hibernatoin.jpg

Terrarium before replanting carnivorous plant

before.jpg

Terrarium after replanting

after.jpg

Edited by Akhenaten

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New photos

In my orchyterrarium now is bloming two ascocenda

asco.jpg

Orange ascocenda is Ascda. Sooksamran Sunlight "Banana Field"

orange0.jpg

Oncidium limminghei (Psychopsiella limminghei)

limenghei.jpg

Howeara Lava Burst

howeara.jpg

My small nepenthes grow well

nep0.jpg

Edited by Akhenaten