A couple of Darlingtonia californica questions

scottleroc

Hi guys

Don't know much about this plant yet really and I just have a few quick questions.

1, Can you self pollinate with one flower?

2, Will it be ok in full sun, for a couple of hours a day, as long as its pot is surrounded by other plants in order to cool the roots?

3, A strange root thing has grown out of the main plant. I pushed it back in to the pot hoping it might take root. It did and now there is a little DC growing. The question is this:- Do I cut this off and repot it?

Thanks in advance for your help :lol:

Guest FredG

Scott,

Why hide it away amongst other plants?

These are in the sunniest part of the greenhouse.

1. The parent grown in a seed tray with about 1.5X the surface area of a standard one.

DC1.jpg

2. Youngsters from stolons in a standard tray.

DC2.jpg

I don't see a problem with them :lol:

(Apart from the 'stickies' who seem to like the conditions too).

Hi Scott,

I've never had a problem with my water tray getting too warm and killing my Darlingtonias. I always keep the water level fairly constant at a high level - it would be harder to warm a lot of water up than a smaller quantity. :lol:

Guest FredG

<---- the guy who posted the pics.

The trays are flooded then refilled when the water level drops about half way (approximately/ when I remember/ before they dry up).

Fred, could you tell me which compost do you use for your darlingtonias? Pure living spaghnum? I use peat and my darlingtonias do not grow as well as yours.

Thank you for your help.

Guest FredG
Fred, could you tell me which compost do you use for your darlingtonias

The trays are just live sphagnum.

Info.

The 'parent' tray had 17 plants removed from it last year.

There's 5 in the second tray, 7 in a 14" half pot and 5 potted up singly.

Plants in the 14" half pot are sending out stolons.

Some may say it's ok short term to grow in trays but I think 10 years is long enough to confirm it's ok long term.

Fred, could you give me little advise, because my darlingonias don't grow as they should do. Yesterday I repotted them into living spaghnum. They are in full sun from 7:00 to about noon. Pots are covered, so no direct sun can reach them.

Could you describe your conditions?

In my opinion all these plants need are LARGE pots compared to the root system of the plant. This is why I think freds method is working so well for him.

I keep my plants in a mix of peat:perlite mixed 1:1 with a top dressing of spag moss. They grow very well and fingers crossed have had no trouble with them growing.

A picture from January showing my mix fairly well. With nice healthy plants. This year they are sending up some nice big pitchers so will get some pictures once they have opened up fully :)

LeftHandSide.jpg

Guest FredG

Michael.

As shown in the pictures the plants are in 3" deep (approx) trays of live sphagnum.

Just now they are in full sun from 10am to 7pm ( approx again).

There is no shading of the plants or the sphagnum.

( I even clean the glass :D ).

Ok, thank you. I will try as you told me.

Maybe it also depends on the clone I'm cultivating. If i have no luck I will tell you. Then maybe one of you could offer me a young plant of your robust clones. :-)

Hi fredG

Question. What are your max temp's and low's for your cobra plants in your greenhouse? Do you leave them in there all year long? For the plants in the photos above. Also do you have any losses with them or do the thrive?

Thanks Andrew