Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
An D Smith

Arisaema nepenthoides

14 posts in this topic

Hi Aroid fans

To follow Aidans' excellent post on A. thunbergii, here are a few pics of Arisaema nepenthoides.

The species is frost tender and reaches a height of around five and a half feet. Only two leaves are produced and the flower is supposed to have the smell of pond water, whatever that may mean!?

I overwinter the bulbs dry and frost-free in the greenhouse and plant up when there are signs of life in early April. Once the plant has flowered I stand it outside for the rest of the season until it dies down in the autumn.

Despite the name, I always thought it looked more like a Sarracenia than a Nepenthes.

Arisaema_nepenthoides_1.jpg

Arisaema_nepenthoides_2.jpg

Arisaema_nepenthoides_3.jpg

Arisaema_nepenthoides_4.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Very, strange yet very interesting. I might have to get me one of those.

Spectacular plant Andy :D !

It reminds me some Heliamphora species (tatei or neblinae for exemple).

The stem is beautiful and almost... eerie. It looks like a reptile skin.

Friendly,

Fran├žois.

The species is frost tender

I have had mine planted out in SW London in a shady corner of my garden for around 5 years now with various other species! However, I am considering taking up and potting the Arisaema ones that don't do as well in the open soil. Some are fine there, some I feel would do better in pots... Although this one does flower fine out of doors it never reaches more than a couple of feet. All the Arisaema I have tried outdoors have been fine there, but have been planted deeeeeeeep. Over a foot in most circumstances. This offers fairly secure frost-protection.

The stem can have a lovely milky-chocolate brown colour. Very snake-like.

Cheers.

Very unusual, But do you mind if I enquire what this plant is growing at my allotment site? (photo taken last year)

arum_thing.jpg

Thanks and hope you don't mind.

Hi Ian

The plant you have pictured is commonly known as Lords and Ladies, or Cuckoopint, or Jack in the Pulpit or a whole host of other, mostly old geographic names. The latin name is Arum maculatum and there appears to be at least two forms. Some have dark-red spots on the leaves and others (like yours) do not. I remember English Nature or some other proffesional body was doing a survey a few years ago to find out the extent of the two forms.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Andy

I love the slightly ghostly quality of the flowers of lords and ladies in spring in the woods. There are some nicely variegated names cultivars around too.

Hi Ian

The plant you have pictured is commonly known as Lords and Ladies, or Cuckoopint, or Jack in the Pulpit or a whole host of other, mostly old geographic names. The latin name is Arum maculatum and there appears to be at least two forms. Some have dark-red spots on the leaves and others (like yours) do not. I remember English Nature or some other proffesional body was doing a survey a few years ago to find out the extent of the two forms.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for that I've been wondering for a while as it just popped up last year for the first time (unless I'd strimmed it before and not noticed).

Very informative, Cheers :D

I love the first photo, it's intriguing! It's like there's a pair of lizards morphing into the branch! Wow!

Thanks for sharing.

Gill. :D

edited once for spelling. (My husband was intrigued by my original spelling of intriguing. i.e. intriuging :D )

Hi Andy

Was that from the very large tuber you had when i visited ??

Bye for now Julian

What a fantastic species. The genus is one that coudl easily become as addictive and collectable as Sarracenia.

Hi Julian

Was that from the very large tuber you had when i visited ??

I think the tuber you saw was Amorphophallus konjac, about the size of a small pumpkin. This still has not come up yet and I am still hoping it may flower this year. The tuber for the Arisaema is about 5" across.

Cheers

Andy