repotting nepenthes

schimatrix

Hi everyone,

there are two 3" nepenthes from Simon coming to me at the moment; I have a ø 20cm pot, but it is not deep indeed, quite low instead..how can I say..larger than deep. I was thinking to arrange them together in there.. do you think it fits to their "radical apparatus" or they need something deeper?

cheers

giuseppe

As well as the risk of spreading infection, if these plants grow well, you may wish to pot them up into larger pots in the future. Grown together they will have their roots intertwined and be very difficult to separate.

Also, you may find that the two plants have slightly different growing requirements and if they are together you won't be able to move them around individually to try find their optimal space in your growing area and improve growth, i.e. one might need more light than the other to grow well.

I have just received my order 4 plants from Simon, two of the plants were supposed to be 3 inch, but this is just a minimum size and they were in fact both much larger; '3 inch' N. khasiana - actually 5 inch and '3 inch' N. veitchii - actually 8+ inch!! So you may not have room in your pot for them both!

With regard to the depth of the pot, take a look at the size of the root ball on the plants when they arrive and make sure that the pot is deep enough to allow plenty of extra growth.

Cheers

Vic

As well as the risk of spreading infection, if these plants grow well, you may wish to pot them up into larger pots in the future. Grown together they will have their roots intertwined and be very difficult to separate...

Vic

Hi Stephen, hi Vic

I was afraid it sounds as a little bit silly question..you put forward so many reasons to pot them apart that I'll do that (even if the plants are two clones of the same species (rafflesiana)...)

thanks for suggestions :wink:

cheers

giuseppe