Full Members
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Vince81 last won the day on May 6

Vince81 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

89 Excellent

About Vince81

  • Birthday 11/30/1988

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    American highland species

Recent Profile Visitors

4,599 profile views
  1. Hey Baboonum, thanks for your interest. It's the second time I use an aquarium chiller, and I must say that I'm still very pleased with such a system. So far, the best one in my experience and use. I think mine has a 5°C minimum too, but I haven't set the embedded thermostat for a while. What you should also keep in mind is the volume of water you intend to cool (besides room temperature, insulation and aimed temperatures). Here is a graph which shows the temperatures last summer at one of the warmest times: Devices' actions and temp records are every 5 minutes, thus all those peaks. I believe you can easily see the temp min/max set at that time :).
  2. Vince81

    new Calendar of the GFP for 2018

    Well received, many thanks. I love that new format with all the pics.
  3. Vince81

    The owner's nickname is Miso on the forum. I ordered from him a couple of months ago, and it went just fine, I was happy with the Drosera and Pinguicula received. Good communication too. I would recommend him based on this experience.
  4. Vince81

    Pinguicula neo-volcanica

    I've tried to self-pollinate a P. hemiepiphytica in late September to investigate a bit this matter. The 8th of October, it looked like it worked as the fruit began to form and swell. The flower stalk also straightened: I checked up on it today, and here is the result: I'll sow the seeds and see whether they are fertile. A friend of mine told me that your plant might be a sterile hybrid. Alternatively there is this hypothesis that pollen needs to ripe in a dry environment, and that air humidity in a greenhouse or a terrarium could prevent this maturation process. In my case though, it didn't seem to have been a problem.
  5. Vince81


    Jeez, you gotta to like them red! Awesome gallery!
  6. Not increasing, just making sure there are enough: better having slightly more than slightly less light in my view. Red and blue LEDs are not essential, as white LEDs already have those wavelengths. It's just a matter of optimising energy, targeting usefulness, having or not pink colour, etc.
  7. Vince81

    Ptaah's Heliamphora collection

    I feel I'm like some kind of groupie, but I love them all ! Except for the last hybrid, so called Heliamphora sp. "Tramen", sometimes labelled H. elongata '60s, or whatever. I've come across it too many times under different names. That put me off! As for the H. uncinata, they are very well grown. The first one is quite stocky and I got those details from MS about the second one: "near the cliff face! Falling down! The smaller gracile form". If that can be of any interest to you :). Congratulations, those vivid colours are always a great view.
  8. Remember when talking about LEDs, that wavelengths are important, as well as the yield of the LEDs/driver. 100W of cool white won't produce the same effect as 100W of only red/blue LEDs, as well as having your LEDs focused in a spotlight or all along the length of your terrarium (e.g, 100x1W LED). In short, just keep in mind that talking only about watts is not an absolute way to quantify light efficiency when growing plants. That being so, I think I would have settled for something around 100W. I'm using 2X55 PL above a 60x45x65 terrarium, without mentioning my highland terrarium where I might have slightly overdone it. So, I believe your plants won't suffer from a lack of light if you put together the 20+20+4+4 LEDs you mentioned earlier. Also, once finished, you can always adjust the height of your light fixture, or dimmed your LEDs if possible. But if you are not giving them enough light, in the first place, you'll be bound to change it all. Or to regret it :).
  9. Vince81

    No more PM notifications?

    Working for me too now, happy it has been fixed. Thanks Richard!
  10. I have yet to see plants which can be grown solely under LEDs or T5 :). HPS are still a solid value when it comes to growing indoor plants for instance. I used to grow my Heliamphora under the same kind of spotlight as Harro. If you plan to learn and make your own setup, maybe that thread of Naoki could be helpful :
  11. Vince81

    Pinguicula neo-volcanica

    Nice tray ! Have you ever tried to pollinate them ? I know they wouldn't pollinate themselves, however, I can't recall Pinguicula being allogamous, but I don't have anything to support that claim.
  12. Vince81

    PICS 2017

    I would second that: those plants are definitely eye candies !
  13. Vince81

    Why is the silica sand green??

    Looks like algae development. Water + light + nutrients = algae... quite hard to avoid that equation. You can consider using pure water to reduce the likelihood of algae growing on top of your pot. As for harming the seeds, if the seeds are big enough, I don't believe it's a matter of concern. It can be more troublesome when dealing with minute seeds like Drosera seeds.
  14. So far so good, I have yet to bring a few stuff to an end and take some pictures, but I'm happy with the results, especially on the tree fern panels: Utricularia jamesoniana: Ageing flower of Pinguicula hemiepiphytica (three at the moment on the plant): And low down : Drosera roraimae:
  15. Vince81

    My heliamphoras

    That's a unique genus indeed, and you sure convey it with your pictures. Love those bushy clumps.